0

applelogin92
1

Will a new motherboard fix this problem?

My microphone doesn't work on my iPhone 4, would buying a new motherboard fix this problem or am I better off buying a new phone? Please help

1

Nicholas
801

Short answer? No. A new Motherboard wouldn't fix the issue.

The microphone is actually soldered onto the Dock Connector, not the Motherboard. As such replacing the Motherboard wouldn't do anything to address the issue as the broken microphone will remain.

The removal and installation guide for the Dock Connector is located here:

iPhone 4 Dock Connector Replacement

iFixit even sells the replacement part:

iPhone 4 Dock Connector (GSM/AT&T)

So if you feel comfortable replacing the Dock Connector yourself, that is your best bet.

It isn't a particularly easy task, but it's certainly doable.

iPhone 4 Dock Connector (GSM/AT&T)

Replacement iPhone 4 Dock Connector contains connector and primary microphone assembly. Compatible with all iPhone 4 GSM models. White and black options. — 50+ available at 17.95 each.

I knew that already, but the microphone itself isn't the problem. The dock connector is brand new but the audio compiler IC is on the motherboard & when I push hard down on it other people can hear me but when I let go I hear nothing & they can't hear me. Now would a new motherboard fix my audio compiler IC problem?

applelogin92,

If it is your audio compiler IC then yes, replacing your Motherboard should fix the issue. There are methods for repairing the IC but they require special tools and skill sets. If you're interested in possibly fixing it yourself then let me know. Otherwise a new Logic Board should work just fine.

Nicholas,

In any case, if you're interested in fixing it yourself here is a video detailing the procedure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-n1LJEK3...

Nicholas,

Im not specialized in soldering, so I might just buy a new motherboard. Any ideas where I can get one from for a understandable price?

applelogin92,

Unfortunately Logic Boards for the iPhone 4 are not cheap. Most of the Logic Boards I've been able to find at low prices are on eBay, but they are used and so you have no quality assurance, so I wouldn't recommend sourcing from there unless you were a gambler. Otherwise I've found this site: http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/for-ipho... Which I have been assured is a reliable retailer by trustworthy sources. Hopefully you can find what you need there at a price you can manage.

Nicholas,

0

fred
1

If you change the docking port with the mic on it and it still dont work . iPhone 4 Audio Compiler will be your problem. And yes its on the mother board .Send it to china to be fixxed