The Kenmore Elite HE3 is a washing machine by Kenmore.

What does an F71 failure mean.

We had a power failure. My Kenmore elite HE3 washer door was open at the time.

Now the washer has an F71 failure code on it and will not start. I have unplugged the machine several times, even left it unplugged overnight, but when I plug it back in the message returns after about 15 minutes and the machine will still not start. Nothing except the F71 code lights up.

These things are designed to fail. Don't buy this brand again. I'm going to try Samsung or some other high tech manufacturer. I buy American when I can but this is a disappointment

Bonnie Frerking ,"the F70 and F71 error codes on this model of washer indicates a communication problem between the user interface control board and the central control unit (main control board). These error codes can sometimes be caused by a power surge or glitch through the electrical lines. Try unplugging the washer to completely disconnect electrical power. Wait 1 minute and then plug the washer back in to the see if the fault code clears. If the code reappears, then you could have a wire harness connection problem, a failed user interface control board or a failed central control unit." from here. Hope this helps, good luck.

We had the F70 error code. Tried unplugging for a while, but when plugged back in, it was "really dead" (no light, just a beep when I pushed buttons). Had Sears repair out and they said we needed to replace the main control board. Complete estimate for the repair was over $600 (about what I paid for it new). We declined and paid the $75 for the service call. Repairman said he wasn't supposed to do this, but the part we need is 8183196. (this is actually a Whirpool part, so I was a little confused at first until I saw it was actually used in many different lines, like Kenmore and Maytag) We could probably find one on online and replace it ourselves cheaper.

Searched online: www.Searspartsdirect.com = $391.34, www.partstore.com =$260.06, www.easyapplianceparts.com =$219.20, www.topappliance.com =$207.48 (new) and CGI rebuild +$154.32 (but none in stock). Ordered the part from topappliance.com and received it in 3 days. My husband and son replaced it in about 30min, but did have some difficulty reaching everything they needed in a pretty tight area. But, part was put in 2 days ago and works like new (so far). Hope this is helpful.

f70 and f71 problem. ordered new board and still have the f71 problem. thoughts?

Bonnie Frerking will be eternally grateful.