1990-1997 Mazda Miata

The first generation Mazda MX-5, or Miata.

1990 miata will not crank battery good lights bright

miata will not start or crank only humming sound lights do not dim have a new battery

tom, right now It does sound like your starter is not working. I would expect the lights to go dim, if your starter was engaging and drawing power from the battery. I suggest that you test the starter according to this:"

NOTE: Before testing, ensure battery is fully charged, battery cables and terminals are clean and tight and engine grounds are good.

CIRCUIT TESTING

1) Turn ignition switch to START position, depress clutch and ensure starter operates. If starter does not operate, use voltmeter to check voltage at "S" terminal when clutch is depressed and ignition is turned to START position. See Fig. 1.

2) If voltage is less than 8 volts, check starter interlock switch and ignition switch to starter wiring circuit for short to ground. If voltage is greater than 8 volts and starter is inoperative, starter has an internal fault. Repair or replace as required."

Hope this helps, good luck.

tom will be eternally grateful.