Model A1238 / 80, 120, or 160 GB hard drive / black or silver metal front

iPod cannot be restored.

When I plug in my ipod to itunes it says it has to be restored. I click restore and it runs for a minute then reads - The ipod "ipod" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1439)

Rene, for the error 1439, try this:"leave iPod plugged into computer. Press the centre button and menu at the same time until iTunes recognizes there is an iPod plugged in. It should also recognize that the iPod is corrupted and commence downloading recovery software." You should also try a different USB port. Use one in the back of the computer (if you are using a desktop). Let us know what works, if anything.

Very helpful thanks.

After going through all the troubleshooting online switching to a different USB finally worked. Can't believe I didn't think of something so simple after pulling my hair out for hours!

The switch to a different USB was also the final key. Worked like a charm in the USB 3.0 slot. Not so good using an extender with multiple ports...

did not work for my ipod 7

Well sorry to hear that. What is wrong with your iPod Classic?

Rene will be eternally grateful.