2

Evan Yoder
25

Why do I get dark spots on dishes?

Dishes have dark spots and lines, after going through a wash cycle, and are hard to get off.

Edited by: oldturkey03 ( ) , Miroslav Djuric ( )

7

mayer
MacHale Enterprises

Problem: Black or gray marks on dishes

Probable Cause

1. Aluminum utensils rubbing against dishes during the wash cycle.

Solution

• Watch your loading! Be sure dishes and aluminum utensils don't rub against each other in the dishwasher. This is particularly important with lightweight foil containers.

hardware or soft water issue. Get it +1

mactech plus,

0

rab777hp

How old is your dishwasher- it may just be getting old and not washing correctly, could be due to water not being cycled in properly.

You may also want to try a different brand of soap, could just be you're using bad soap which is causing black marks.

0

Jim
1

May not be your issue... Rusting dish racks can cause lots of headaches with small flecks of mineral deposits. Can paint some repair coating over this temporarily but long term is to replace the racks or the dishwasher.

Streaks can be anything from hard water to poor detergent selection.

0

plane away
1

could be a build-up of limescale

That would be white and you'd have to leave the dishes in for a very long time. Do an image search for limescale

mayer,

0

Tony
1

Normally caused by lack of rinse aid, rinse aid breaks down surface tension of water causing it to run off of utensils instead of laying in little globules. Another cause could be lack of salt in salt container which is a water softener built into dishwashers. If persists worth trying changing brand of rinse aid and make sure utensils are loose no crammed together. As I was always taught with washing machines and dishwashers for efficient cleaning please leave room for the water.

0

Pikpilot
1

There are two other common causes:

1) the plastic coated wire basket(s) has nicks or cuts allowing the wire to rust away. The corrosive dishwasher powder then eats away at the exposed rusty wire, leaving spots - particularly depositing on knives and spoons.

2) if you have never run a cleaning cycle with dishwasher/washing machine cleaner then you could have a build up of gunk in the pipework. I use the Electrolux cleaner powder bought from espares and others. Use it in your washing machine too to avoid smells inside and on the clothes.

0

Wolfe
1

Where is Electrolux cleaner powder is available in Canada?

Wolfe

0

Lori
1

I bought a new dishwasher because of the dark stains that suddenly appeared on my dishes. But the dishes come out of the new dishwasher with the same type of stain. I believe the stains are associated with my new K-cup single serve coffee/tea maker. I won't give up my K-cups, but at least I know the residue is not harmful.