Second generation of iPhone. Model A1241 / 8 or 16 GB capacity / black or white plastic back. Repair is more straightforward than the first iPhone. requires screwdrivers, prying, and suction tools.

iPhone 3G completely died for no reason

Hi my iPhone 3G just went completely blank (black screen) yesterday. It wouldn't reboot using the top & home buttons nor by charging or connecting it to iTunes. Nothing drastic has happened to it. It was fine fully charged on my desk one minute & dead the next!

Anyone know how I can bring it back to life?

James, it sounds like you tried a hard reset already. Check your dock connector, make sure that there is no dirt, debris, corrosion, or bent pins. Make sure you have a good cable. If all that checks out okay, try to open your phone and check your battery. Check the voltage at the battery contacts and see what you get without it being plugged in and what you get when it is plugged in. I'd start with that and see what you get.

James will be eternally grateful.