0

goblecoque
1

Black screen of mystery

So I had the famous coffe spill.

The laptop started with a nice chime, but the screen stayed black.

"Crap", I thought, and bought a new logic board and promptly replaced the old one.

Problem is, the darned thing still just chimes and nothing else.

I tried both a different lcd assembly as well as an external screen, same thing.

Ideas?

Edited by: goblecoque ( ) , machead3 ( )

Try booting from Install CD/DVD run Hardware test.

machead3,

3

mayer
MacHale Enterprises

If the coffee entered the machine via the keyboard, you may have shorted it out and need a new uppercase. The old logic board may be just fine. Examine it to see if the LSI dots have turned red or are still white.

The spill mainly affected the ports on the right side, not inside the keyboard as far as I could tell. But I'll pop it open and have a look. Can a faulty topcase cause the screen not to work?

goblecoque,

topcase doesnot effect the lcd .

SIMRAN,

OK; so I bought a new board *again*, and it still don't work. I got a flicker on the second LCD assembly, but then it failed again.

goblecoque,

1

SIMRAN

try with the flash to the screen. may be its just only the back light problem due to spillage . dismantle the laptop to check the damage to the logic baord. if logic board suffer spillage damage then clean it properly and leave it for few hours . then power up the laptop to check its now working. if still not working then you have to go to repair shop for repair the logic board. thnx

The board is new.

goblecoque,

new board doesnot mean that it doesnot have any problem. if it is not giving any video to external display also then you logic board fried . its a problem of graphic card or something blown on the logic baord. put the pictures of logic board to check from both side .

SIMRAN,

Thanks Simran, you are probably right. I may have gotten shafted on the new board.

goblecoque,

pls accept it thnx if solve

SIMRAN,