Mid 2006 / model number A1181 / black or white case / 1.83 or 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo processor.

515 Questions View all

What is this part?

I'd like to know what the round black thing in this picture is:


I'm referring to the thing located just above the aluminum tape highlighted in the yellow box.

In my MacBook, it is making an annoying buzzing noise similar to the noise made by that old playing card in the bicycle spokes trick. It has a feel like a speaker cone and when I press down on it the noise mostly stops, although I can still feel a vibration. That makes me think the noise is originating elsewhere and is simply being amplified by whatever this thing is .... I suspected the fan at first, but when I stopped the fan (by wedging in the tip of a screwdriver!) the vibrations continued, and when I removed my finger from the black thingy, the loud noise returned, even with the fan stopped ......

Any ideas?

Answered! View the answer I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 0
Add a comment

2 Answers

Chosen Solution

That's the right speaker. See if you're getting the same thing from the left one located here: MacBook Core Duo Left Speaker Replacement

Was this answer helpful?

Score 4
Add a comment

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I see now that it is the subwoofer and that it attaches to the right speaker. I have two of the same model MacBook and have replaced the right speaker/subwoofer, the HD, and the fan. I also checked the left speaker and it works fine. I'm stumped. What else might be causing the subwoofer to feedback so noisily?

Was this answer helpful?

Score 0
Add a comment

Add your answer

Martin Meadows will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 0

Past 7 Days: 0

Past 30 Days: 0

All Time: 279