The Xbox 360 is the second game console made by Microsoft, and was released November 22, 2005.

360 cd drive reading games as dvds

I fixed RROD on my console, replaced the cd drive with a working one from another console and it wants to read games as dvds. Anyone know the solution to this? Any help is much appreciated.

When you replaced the optical drive, did you transplant the PCB from the old to the new? Did you clone the drive key any other way? remember "The Xbox 360 is designed so that the DVD drive works only with the particular game console it is installed in. Replacing a defective DVD drive with a replacement DVD drive does not work, since the replacement has a different DVD drive key, which the game console won't accept." from here

Thank you for accepting my answer, good luck.

dylan, couple things that I would try. First I would suspect a dirty laser. You can buy a laser lens cleaner disc at most hardware stores. If they are not available in your area, you can, take the drive apart, use isopropyl alcohol to clean the laser really good using cotton swabs. If that does not work for you, you can try to do a "pot adjustment" Check on here for that. If that does not work, and if you are having the right drive key, you may have to replace the drive with a new one. Just remember that the drives are mated to the console and require that you have the right key. There are plenty of sites that will tell you how to do that. Hope this helps, good luck.

I also have this issue and I replaced the PCB board with the new drive. The drive I used to replace it with was working perfectly until I did this. Any follow ups?

dylan will be eternally grateful.