Revamped version of the iPhone 3G with faster processing speeds. Repair of this device is similar to the 3G, and requires simple screwdrivers and prying tools. Model A1303 / 16 or 32 GB capacity / black or white plastic back.

Why am I unable to update my iPhone os?

I have found that I am unable to update my iPhone 3GS from 3.1.2 to 3.1.3. When choosing either to download and update or just download, I get the following error:

"There was a problem downloading the software for the iPhone (name of my iPhone). An unknown error occurred (-23)"

The same thing happens when I try to restore the phone (including trying to restore in recovery mode), which scratches that idea.

I have uninstalled iTunes and reinstalled, with no change.

Any ideas?

And no, it's not jailbroken.

Thank you both for your replies! It is still under warranty, so I took it to an Apple Store, and they promptly replaced it, saying the error referred to a hardware problem.

From what I've heard, error -23 has to do with the logic board, but if you have no other symptoms that's strange.

You may want to check out Software: Firmware Upgarde Issue: Will not upgrade to 3.1.2 From 3.0, it seems the poster there has the same or similar problem.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but error "23" means the phone is "bricked" and restore, DFU mode, nothing works on this. I would call Apple and see what they have to say about that. If you have AT&T you can also call them as they do the initial "de-bricking" of the phone when first activated. Check this thread out. http://modmyi.com/forums/general/432911-...

It turns out one poster had luck solving this by deleting all previous backups of the phone, maybe your last back-up is corrupted somehow. TRy deleting your previous backups and try a full restore. If that doesn't work, take a trip to the Apple store and they will replace your iPhone.

Ben Eisenman will be eternally grateful.