Released April 2010 / 2.4, 2.53 GHz Core i5 or 2.66, 2.8 GHz Core i7 Processors

Retrofit with Thunderbolt Logic Board?

As far as future upgrade prospects, a new logic board from iFixit is ~1/2 the price of a new MacBook Pro.

So, could one retrofit, say, a mid 2010 unibody 15” MBP with a late 2011 logic board (including new heat sinks and new battery)?

I noticed the heatsink screw points are ever so slightly skewed and that the battery connector has changed, but most everything else seems about the same.

You would still need a means to cut a hole in the case for the TB port. I think your going to far here. Too many chances for problems.

Best to sell your current system and buy a new (used) system with a TB port if your really need it.

Frankly, the cost of TB devices are still very high and don't offer enough to warrant getting them quite yet.

+ I really have to agree. A 1 TB external HD from LaCie is $450.

With the current system already having a Mini DisplayPort hole in the case right where the Thunderbolt port ought to be, I didn’t imagine it would be quite so drastic…

Do the heatsink screws mount onto the chassis or the logic board? I ask mostly because the upgrade would afford future-proofness. I wouldn’t be doing this any time soon – this system will be good enough for me for a while still.

Siddyrocks, have you been able to do this yet?

I want to fit a 2011 MBP logic board in to increase the CPU, dont care too much for the TB port, but it would be an added bonus. Just wondering if it fit/how much modification you had to do to get it right?

I can get a 2.66 ghz i7 board for about $500.

Hi Brendan,

I actually was unable to perform the retrofit. Looking at the heatsink mounting points, it’d be impossible to affix the new, notably springed heatsinks to the logic board, lest I drilled through the logic board, which I deemed too risky.

Seems Apple went out of its way to make that small change specifically to prevent a retrofit. But that’s the only real barrier – one can change the battery to accommodate the new board, and all the other interfaces are the same.

In the end, I submitted my old one for recycling and bought a new one (it unexpectedly and very suddenly died due to a spontaneous EFI corruption). I got $524.25 back, though!

Good luck with yours!

Hey,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Thats a real shame they do that, but I'm really glad I havent bought the board! I guess you could always replace the outside case as well they're about $300 odd I think. But in light of this new information (thanks), I've decided to build a Hac pro Hackintosh pc.

Still keeping my 2008 macbook pro, because it still works, but the extra CPU will go to the desktop rather than the laptop.

Cheers,

Brendan.

siddyrocks will be eternally grateful.