Motorola Atrix 4G

The Motorola Atrix 4G is dual-core Android-powered phone by Motorola.

Nail Polish Remover (acetone) spill on screen & phone

An unfortunate accidental spill of this solvent really did a number on the phone and especially the display/touch screen. Acetone seemed to have dissolved the plastic in some areas but not totally fused the phone to render it completely inoperable. I believe the display can be replaced that will correct the main problem. My question is how protected is the LCD? The spill happened very fast and the tissue was applied immediately after the unfortunate event. But the display has definitely been affected.

In your opinion, Are LCD modules durable? Is there a way to inspect their integrity?

I'm about ready to perform a screen replacement that I'm sure will correct the damage and allow me to use the phone again, but I would like others advice, suggestions or recommendations. I think this phone is not yet ready for the trash dump. Thanks.

Wow, really hate to read that post. I would get some 92%+ alcohol, an art brush, and an anti-static cloth to clean off any remaining acetone. Liquid flux used in soldering works nearly the same it's an acid that will eat away plastics ... btw, don't use less than 92% (some pharmacies carry 50% which is too high in water and can cause serious electronic damage). good luck!

the problem with acetone is that it will essentially eat at anything electronic, this includes the circuit board. If enough were to get to the rear area where the pcb is, its likely that the phone is a goner.

Late reply but valuable info.

listen man.. I did the same thing right do as i say..

pour the culprit again on your screen!!..yes..take a cotton piece and dip it in thinner..smoothly rub the cotton on the screen where it had previously done damage...and within seconds u'll see ur screen getting fixed up..this is an immidiately pour DETTOL liqiud on it..with cotton..and let it dry...

what kind of thinner

by melani anguisaca

@ melani anguisaca - Acetone is a solvent that evaporates very quickly. Yuvi is wrong about using cotton dipped in anything to RUB on the screen - that will make things worse. The irreversible damage done by acetone happens rather quickly. 95% alcohol will dilute it but you need to do that rather quickly - seconds is better than minutes - minutes is better than not at all - in an hour it might stop the last 5% of damage.

by ABCellars

Alan L will be eternally grateful.