The Motorola Atrix 4G is dual-core Android-powered phone by Motorola.

Nail Polish Remover (acetone) spill on screen & phone

An unfortunate accidental spill of this solvent really did a number on the phone and especially the display/touch screen. Acetone seemed to have dissolved the plastic in some areas but not totally fused the phone to render it completely inoperable. I believe the display can be replaced that will correct the main problem. My question is how protected is the LCD? The spill happened very fast and the tissue was applied immediately after the unfortunate event. But the display has definitely been affected.

In your opinion, Are LCD modules durable? Is there a way to inspect their integrity?

I'm about ready to perform a screen replacement that I'm sure will correct the damage and allow me to use the phone again, but I would like others advice, suggestions or recommendations. I think this phone is not yet ready for the trash dump. Thanks.

If the nail polish remover was acetone free will that make a difference?

Wow, really hate to read that post. I would get some 92%+ alcohol, an art brush, and an anti-static cloth to clean off any remaining acetone. Liquid flux used in soldering works nearly the same it's an acid that will eat away plastics ... btw, don't use less than 92% (some pharmacies carry 50% which is too high in water and can cause serious electronic damage). good luck!

the problem with acetone is that it will essentially eat at anything electronic, this includes the circuit board. If enough were to get to the rear area where the pcb is, its likely that the phone is a goner.

Late reply but valuable info.

listen man.. I did the same thing right now..now do as i say..

pour the culprit again on your screen!!..yes..take a cotton piece and dip it in thinner..smoothly rub the cotton on the screen where it had previously done damage...and within seconds u'll see ur screen getting fixed up..this is an illusion..now immidiately pour DETTOL liqiud on it..with cotton..and let it dry...

what kind of thinner

@ melani anguisaca - Acetone is a solvent that evaporates very quickly. Yuvi is wrong about using cotton dipped in anything to RUB on the screen - that will make things worse. The irreversible damage done by acetone happens rather quickly. 95% alcohol will dilute it but you need to do that rather quickly - seconds is better than minutes - minutes is better than not at all - in an hour it might stop the last 5% of damage.

how do I get the nail polish remover (non- acetone) out of my phone the screen is still working but is bubbly on the inside of the phone & looks like there is blue blotches of nail varnish remover under the screen? how could i fix my phone?

put it in a bag of rice over night. I thought my parents were crazy when they suggested it but I left it and most of the blue went away and it was covering almost my entire screen

Oh my god. How many times must I say it. RICE. DOES. NOTHING! It doesn't do anything to the phone. Wait a week and then see how it looks. It will be dead. I really wish that stupid myth would just die off already.

can u put the phone or ipod in rice like u do if ur phone /ipod gets in water

Score -1

because thats what i did

Did it work?

No. It won't. RICE DOESNT DO ANYTHING!!!!! That is just a stupid myth that someone made up.

Alan L will be eternally grateful.