Model No. A1367 / 8, 16, 32, or 64 GB capacity

1275 Questions View all

iPod dead after LCD repair, no USB response, what now?

I did an LCD/Digitizer replace on my iPod touch 4G. It was working prior (with a cracked digitizer) but now is 100% unresponsive. Nothing of note went wrong with the repair, everything worked as expected.

I've tried the following:

  • Hard reset: Held down sleep and home for a good 60 seconds
  • Plugged into computer: USB bus and iTunes do not acknowledge the device.
  • Left charging for several hours: no change
  • Cursor inspection of internals: battery solder points look fine, No visible damage to button flex cable.

I'm looking for any suggestions, where to look for problems, should i go ahead and take out the whole main-board/battery? Where can I put a voltmeter and what should I expect to read? Should I feel any warmth from the battery when power is attached (I do not)?

Thanks!

Seth

Answered! View the answer I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 0
Add a comment
Deck the Halls
With tools and Fix Kits

1 Answer

Chosen Solution

Did you replace the flex cable? If so, did you disconnect the + terminal on the battery first?

I ran into the same situation today, I replaced the flex cable -- without disconnecting battery (breaking my own advice). So, I de-soldered the + terminal, soldered it back, and the iPod came on.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 0

Comments:

Btw, I checked my battery with a multimeter before desoldering the + terminal (just scraped off the clear adhesive and touched the + and - terminals of the battery and it showed just below 3.7v.), but, disconnected and re-soldered the+ and worked fine.

by

Btw, if you de-solder the + terminal of the battery use Kapton tape to cover any nearby circuits and disconnect/pull back the audio jack connector to avoid accidentally burning it with your iron. Always use a copper braid when de-soldering too, to avoid lifting the pad. When de-soldering I put a touch of flux on the braid to help suck up the solder -- and at most hit it for about 3 seconds not over-heating the board.

by

Add a comment

Add your answer

Seth Berrier will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 0

Past 7 Days: 0

Past 30 Days: 0

All Time: 816