0

Wendy
1

My callers hear an echo, I dont

hi everyone who calls me says they can hear a bad echo of thier voice..yet i hear nothing? looked on some forums..they blame the case..took it off still happening...some even send theres in for repair...still happens as techies only to a factory reset??? wondered if u had any advise?

thanx Wendy

opps sorry i have a samsung galaxy s2

Wendy ,

Hi Wendy I have the same problem. It seems to be some clever trick that Samsung have included to try and reduce ambient noise on incoming calls, and have basically made it so that on incoming calls the speaker is on very quietly, which makes a loop and causes an echo for the caller. When you have answered the call, if you press the menu button, and press "noise reduction off" if will fix the echo problem for that call. unfortunately i haven't figured out a way to turn it off permanently yet! Simon

Simon,

hey thanx so much for that tip ...will give it a try...im reluctant to send it in for repair...have u tried that?

Wendy ,

1

nomodo4u
349

This has to do with your cell phone provider, the location of the cell tower, where you are located in relation to the cell towers, and objects in the way that block or reflect the signal. Try going to a different room in your house or to a different spot outside. If the people your talking to still hear a echo, then you gotta switch carriers if you absolutely love your cell phone.

Alternatively, you can read reviews of best cell phones with no echo and switch phones if you absolutely love your carrier.

Edited by: nomodo4u ( )

1

ishii106
13

something you can try.

1) make sure the carrier have the hardware you're using is registered to you and not your old phone.

2) use a headset w/ mic and make a call to see if there's an echo.

-if this is yes, it could be your carrier tower OR your hardware

- if no, then it's your hardware.

3) use a speaker phone and see if there's an echo.

- if no, then it's your hardware.

if the problem still keep up, or been fixed, let us know! ^_^

i am still facing the issue. let me know if any one fixed the issue

nilesh,

0

skyFx
1

I have a samsung galaxy centura--yah a cheap phone--it does this too. I am on my third phone and it doesn't do it as badly as the first or the second, when I use a case it is more pronounced, according to my callers. I think it is something that Samsung cannot fix but it is annoying. Many of my friends just text so they don't have that problem. Some phones are better than others, my first always did it, my second started after a few weeks and my third one has been the best so far but it freezes up much more and often will not put my calls thru at all, other times it calls the number sometimes 5 minutes after I've given up calling. Very frustrating but good to know that the echoing is due to the cheap quality of my phone.

Susan Yoder,

0

Janne
1

Most likely its the rubber coating over the mic located inside the case on the bottom of the phone obviously.

Open up your phone and make sure to push the rubber in deep in to the case. There's a small hole in the rubber and in the back casing and they should align perfectly. When the phone is assembled you should not be seeing any of the rubber from the mic hole.

0

chris
1

I can only avoid the echo by using speaker phone, whoever I speak to says that the minute I select speaker phone the echo clears and the conversation is normal. Its very frustrating especially when speaking to someone with poor hearing who asks you to repeat yourself anyway.

0

Sarah Green
1

Hi Wendy. I didn't realise how common this problem is. My G2 is driving my callers crazy. On various help blogs, people advise going to Settings the Call then Additinal Settings and then turn off Noise Reduction. But 2 of us here with the identicle phone, dont have that as an option on our menus. I've see a couple of blogs that show videos of dismantling the back of the phone and fiddle with bits and pieces, but there's no way I'm doing that and am certainly not recommending it. My brother screwed his iPhone by a similar "helpful" you tube video, so no way. Sorry I can't help but will be interested in any feedback to hear if you solved your echo?

0

Wendy
1

Hi Shara the noise reduction option is in the left hand menu ONLY when u recieve an incoming call...have to chose it after u answer and befor u speak...seemed to work for me..hope that helps wendy

0

rehman gul
1

hi every one i have the same problem with my phone but cant solve,

any other solution please

0

Hassen Bashemakh
1

Hi All,

Thank you it works I think with me...

Thank you,

Hassen

0

Melissa Garcia
1

i have the galaxy3 and it was doing the same thing!! Drove everyone insane but me because i didn't hear anything! I went into call history log, hit menu, went to call settings, additional settings, and unclicked the Noise Reduction selection and it fixed the issue. hope this helps!

0

Jack
1

Callers to my Galaxy II get the echo. Only after answering tap the bottom left menu; then put noise reduction to off. This works, but doesn't always stay off with future calls. My sales person clued me in on the solution fix...said it happens when a protector case is used, but haven't tried receiving a call with it off yet to see. I don't like to carry it in my pocket with no protection even if that works.

0

daniel
1

I finnaly found that the problem became from the extra shell case i used.

so avoid any extra shell case to make a test.

That's the solution a found whith mine. I think that the extra case (not a samsumg case) genarate echo because of the 2 microphones on the top and the bottom, I don't know why but I think that the case act like a echo box.

0

Jitesh Hirani
1

hello, i am having an echo problem with my samsung galaxy 2.

when i call someone the person receving the phone hears twice which makes communication difficult. the person heres echo in short

0

eric
1

hi,

Just put a little bit of thick tape over the top microphone, and the problem is gone, at least it is gone for me... Give it a try

0

mark b
1

This is a problem with most phones. Just pick any manufacturer and type their name in google and then put "echo problem" after it, without the quotes. You will see tons of phones have the same problem.

The problem is they use the phone case as a type of speaker box. They allow the back of the speaker to "breath" into the case so that it can produce bass. That makes the speaker sound better and easier to understand people talking.

If you have a noise cancellation mic at the top of the phone, you can usually put a piece of tape over it and that will help.

A better fix is to take the screws out of the back of the phone (if you are brave) and putt something like a piece of closed-cell foam near the bottom of the phone where the regular mic is. The idea is to keep the sound from the speaker from traveling into the regular mic. If you put the foam too close to the speaker, the callers will be a little hard to understand because their voice will have no bass and it will make the phone sound really cheap.

But it is a lot easier to put the tape over the top microphone. ;-)

Edited by: mark b ( )

Some of the galaxy phones only allow you to turn off noise reduction on a per call basis. So you may have to do that every time you make a call. Depends on the phone. Are any of you running into this problem? One of the galaxy phones I had also severely reduced the volume when the noise reduction was turned off. Have any of you noticed this?

mark b,

0

billy
1

Most definitely for my Samsung Galaxy S4 it was the case and the top microphone. Put some tape on the top microphone and put the case back on and the echo is gone!

0

mark b
1

If you go to youtube and search for “cell phone echo problem fixpro256″ (probably don’t need the quotes) there is a better explaination of how to fix the echo.

0

pete
1

clean out the tiny holes top and bottom of phone.samsung Galaxy 2. worked for me.try using a magnifying glass.

0

Ramona
1

I had the same problem on my Galaxy S II with people hearing themselves talk so I went into my settings/call/additional settings & unchecked the noise suppression option & made a phone call & WooHoo it worked! Thank you Simon!

Ramona

0

liz
1

noise reduction worked for me - followed instructions posted above to get to the option

hit phone icon

once in phone option

hit bottom left menu button

select call settings

select additional settings

deselect noise reduction

worked a treat and now my callers aren't complaining anymore!

0

lacey douglas
1

if it is in a protective case take it out mine works fine after this.

it is very annoying when it does echo

0

Susan Yoder
1

mine still echos after removing the case. I have the centura and it doesn't give me the option to turn off noise reduction...very frustrating.

0

mark b
1

Hi Susan Yoder. If you have a second mic (should be small hole at the top of the phone) try tape over the hole. If not, if you go to youtube and search for “cell phone echo problem fixpro256″ (probably don’t need the quotes) there is a better explanation of how to fix the echo.

0

thingsfrommj
1

The echo people heard Completely went away once I found the "noise reduction" setting and turned it off. I had to be on an active phone call for it to become available to change.

0

mark b
1

Different versions of the phone/firmware/OS will have the noise reduction option implemented in different ways. With the S2 Verizon phone I had, it would only work for one call at a time. On the S3s Verizon phone I have the setting stays the way you set it even if you reboot.

If I remember right, people say they can't hear me as well when noise reduction is turned off.

You can probably get rid of the echo my just turning the volume down. That way the built-in earpiece isn't as likely to be picked up by the mic. Try that and let us know if it works.

0

aly
1

nr off problem solved thank you.

0

Amy L
1

My husband has the Samsung Galaxy Note 3, and the echo (that his callers would hear, of their own voices) was awful and distracting.

Just now, I read about the case sometimes being the issue. I called him, got the echo, and had him remove his case.

Voila! Problem 100% solved!!

No idea what brand his case is, but removing it fixed the issue.

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your issues!

0

zaid
1

yes it's problem of case

thank you very much to help

0

Chris Upham
1

I have Samsung Galaxy Note3 and a gel case that seems to have all the correct mic holes. But, my echo problem seems to occur only when I'm using my wired earpiece and microphone ($59 skull candy). When I remove the earpiece jack from the phone and am just using the phone to my ear, the other person says the echo goes away.

It doesn't seem like this would be a noise reduction mic issue since I'm using wired earpieces and there wouldnt be sound traveling from the internal speaker to the internal microphone.

I've turned off noise reduction and will see if that works.

0

Marc Urie
1

I have a shiny new Samsung S4 Active - same problem - the people I talk to hear an echo of themselves and general poor sound quality.

Shop where I bought it replaced the phone - exact same model > Exact same problem.

Went back and they changed the sim card - old card was a 64k, replaced with a 128k sim. Same problem.

Cover on / cover off > same problem.

Will be going back again when I have time. Someone mentioned it could be an app messing things up - will try resetting phone and not re-installing all my apps to see if that makes any difference ...

I'll be back ...

0

Joe
1

I have the Note 3 and with a wired headset the caller hears an echo, not me. Went to AT&T and they've tried three Note 3 phones with multiple sim cards, multiple headsets, and no luck.

I have tried all the suggestions (Settings/Noise Reduction) in the post above - No Luck

Anyone have any new ideas as I really like the phone?

Thanks - Joe

0

Timo Schnell
1

I am having the same problem with the international version of the S4 active. As with lots of others the problem does not exist with the backcover removed or when using phonespeaker or headset.

But I also found that there is also no echo, when just removing the microSD card and putting back on the cover and not using phonespeaker or headset.

It seems, that there is some kind of electrical interference as long as the SD is installed or some kind of incompatibility with SD cards? I just found this, hence did not try yet with diffeent vendors from SD cards or putting a "dummy" in it, just to see, if the issue also exists, if there is no actual electrical contact.

I also heard from other unoffical sources, that Samsung is planning to get this fixed with a new firmware?

Cheers,

Timo

0

theghost886
1

Having trouble with echo? Go to settings: My device: Call: and turn off the feature (uncheck) (Increase volume in pocket)

0

Alan Broadbent
1

Hi, I have an S4, I had a Samsung genuine fold over case fitted at the shop where I bought the phone, this was not cheap but my callers get the echo. having read this post I removed the case.....no echo. My wife has the exact same model phone and exact same genuine case but she does not get the echo !

0

mark b
1

Hi Alan Broadbent, Just curious if the volume affects your problem. Try turning the volume up on hers and down on yours. What are the results? Are you both ATT, Verizon ...?

If you are handy with small tools, you can search youtube for "Cell phone echo problem How to fix" and fix the problem for good.

0

Alan Broadbent
1

Hi Mark,

We are in the UK on EE. I have removed the case, no echo. I cut a piece of thin cloth and fitted it inside the case, no echo!

The volume did not affect the echo. None of the noise cancelling tweaks made any difference at all, all the settings were exactly the same between my wife's phone and mine. My son's phone is the same too and he does not get the echo.

The cloth gasket has fixed it now. thanks for all the suggestions.

0

mark b
1

Hi Alan Broadbent,

That is great that you figured out a way around it. Did the cloth have a hole in it and you placed it around the lower mic? Or, did you use it in some other way?

0

Alan Broadbent
1

Hi Mark,

The only hole I cut was for the camera & flash.

0

zubai
1

hey I am also facing the same problem but when I used the speaker phone the problem was not appear so whats the solution for this problem

0

mark b
1

These phones are computers. They are just as prone to bugs as regular computers. The bug could be at any point. The echo may be when using speaker, earpiece, wired earpiece, or bluetooth. From what I have found, the problem is due to the sound traveling thru the inner cavities of the phone and reaching the mic at the bottom of the phone. Putting a piece of soft foam inside the phone to cover the back of the mic may help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkcxzmCP...

Also, try turning down your earpiece volume just to see if that helps. May help you figure out what is the problem with your phone.

0

Jim Gottlieb
1

I was amazed when I tried turning off the Noise Reduction to fix my Echo Problem. It worked immediately and was very effective! The menu pick was slightly different in my model; i.e. it was not in Additional Settings menu as stated in some of the posts above, but in the Call Settings menu. Thanks so very much.

0

peterhildebrandt65
1

Yes, the callers complane so much to hear a strong echo on my Galaxy s4 active. I asked around and found a good technician that open it up and found a little plastic bent close to the mic. He put it in its place and all is fine.

0

Jensen Gary
1

I tried all of the above from turning off noise reduction to inserting the cloth,nothing worked until I removed the case. [THIS CORRECTED THE PROBLEM.]

0

Nishith
1

Even I am facing the same problem where my callers can hear the echo tried turning off the mire reduction didn't work removed my case didn't work called up my network provider they told it's good from their end finally I am left with no other option other then giving it for repair

0

mohanad
1

remove S4 back cover. and cover speaker with light tissue. the problem will solevd.

else, to go for any maintenance place and let him to replce back speaker.

0

Rosaleen
1

ECHO ON PHONE

Ever since contracting into my Acer Liquid 3 phone, I have echo problems. First of all I cannot get a network signal where I live, but I am able to use the phone as I have WiFi at home. However when using the WiFi there is an echo which only the person who receives my call hears (I don't hear it). Incidentally when using the network away from the house calls do not incur echos, so the problem is only when in a WiFi area. After weeks of frustration and experimenting with all sorts of ways to rectify the situation (my network local shop stated they had never heard anyone have an echo on their phone and I was unique!!!!!!) I have found that if I wear the earplugs supplied with the phone or any other earplugs this actually works. The person to whom I am speaking does not hear an echo! I know it is not the ideal way to conduct a telephone conversation but belief me I find it wonderful that there is no echo, as do the people I am speaking to, and also I did find it very hard to hear and this means people are speaking directly into your ear and the volume has greatly improved. When on Speakerphone the echo was unbearable, so I never use it. Don't need to as the earphones are great. I trust that this helps someone to solve their own problems. Worth a try anyway. Good Luck.

0

Gini
1

I took the plastic gel case (which came with the new phone) off my Samsung Galaxy S4 and it solved the problem immediately. Result!

0

brad xray
1

A few things you can try to narrow in on the cause of the problem....

Turn your volume down. The sound from the speaker in the earpiece sometimes makes it to the microphone thru the internals of the phone. Turning the volume down will tell you if this is the problem. If it is, this is a possible fix for it....http://youtu.be/FkcxzmCPFWw

Take the case off. Sometimes the sound from the speaker in the earpiece travels thru the case and reaches the microphone.

Turn off noise cancellation.

Keep track of when it does and does not happen (after reboot, certain callers, 3g vs 4g, cell tower...)

Echo should not happen. Sometimes it is a physical problem with the phone. Sometimes it is a bug in the programming of the phone. If you can't resolve it and you wan't out of your contract, write a letter to the FCC. That quickly got me out of mine with T-mobile and 3 phones (all samsung S3) that had echo problems.

I had a friend on T-Mobile with an older S3 with the echo problem. I fixed it using this video....http://youtu.be/FkcxzmCPFWw

0

jignesh kale
1

Hey guys its a very stupid idea..but try it..it worked PR fectly for me....

1st of all remove all the back covera on ur phone.. And see where the mic is located..bith the primary as well as the secondary...as u find them..just try and suck the mics with a bit of pressure...it solved my problem..as my rubber cover was a bit loose frm inside..sucking it created a pressure of air..which pulled the cover more inside..hence my echo problem was solved...without opening my mobile phone...try ur luck guys..

0

ZAM Khan
1

I tried some of your suggetions but not a single one works.. So i looked at my samsung S4 which has the echo problm... and i noticed that there is some dust in mic hole... i cleared it with a needle and its really works now with no echo for caller or for me ...

;-)