Whirlpool Washing Machine

Repair guides and support for top and front loading Whirlpool brand washers.

Whirlpool Cabrio Series 5000 Washing Machine stopped spinning at all, stopped draining now too

Why did my washer stop draining and spinning? I tried clearing out the drain, checked, removed and cleaned the drain pump, ran a diaganostic and ran a recalibration. I am thinking the control actuator or shifter arm is bad but the stupid thing is only a year old.

It WAS the shift actuator. There were apparently several service bulletins, changes to the part and improvements before they got this problem under control. I got the newest part available and I'm up and running again today.

Did you check the lid switch for continuity and to see if it is being activated when the lid is down?

by ABCellars

The lid switch is good, activates and locks and holds down during every operation.

by 040304

Ok, I had a chance to tear it down a bit. The answer is going to be the shifter arm and the shift actuator. So if someone wants to post that answer I'll accept it. Also, as a helpful tip, there is a hidden maintenance manual taped to the inside of the front panel of that washer, not for use by the consumer. Unless you are one of us, then it is for use by the consumer.

by 040304

Excellent. Congrats on figuring that out. Out of curiousity, what happened to the parts? In what way did they fail? I'm just trying to build my own knowledge.

by Greg R

If your washer doesn't spin or pump water out but the motor is running, your washer probably has a frozen pump pulley. If so, you need to replace the pump. To check the pulley, remove the pump from the washer and try to rotate the pulley manually. If it doesn't turn freely--if it's frozen or stiff--replace it.

I pulled the pump when I went to clean out the inline filter. It spins freely, runs fine. I can even hear it running during diagnostic on the washer.

by 040304

According to your research the problem is with the shifter arm and the shift actuator. Here's the actuator: http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/S... I could not find a part called the shifter arm, maybe it's called something else. I would also look at the shifter coils: http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/S...

by mayer

However, the part was around $50 bucks, and is an electro-mechanical actuator, similar to a solenoid.

by 040304

I fixed the problem.And got me a cold beer.THANKS a lot Donald Georgetown tx.U guys are great/////////////////////////

by donniedora

Our (much older) washer exhibited a similiar behavior a while ago. midway through the wash cycle it would simply stop; no drain, no spin, nothing. I replaced the timer, thinking it was bad, but that turned out to be a red herring.

The problem turned out to be a shorted out water inlet valve. A water line leaked at some point, and dripped down onto the valve assembly which shorted out the cold water side of the valve. Whenever the machine asked for cold water, it wouldn't come. So the machine would simply stop & wait until I manually pushed the timer past that spot to the final spin cycle.

So we were apparently washing all our clothes in hot water and not rinsing them for a few days... until I figured this out.

Not sure if that will be helpful... but it's something to look at before throwing more parts at it.

040304 will be eternally grateful.