PowerBook G4 Titanium DVI

Model A1001 or A1025 / 667, 800, 867, or 1.0 GHz G4 processor

P key needs new nipple; contact works. How to replace?

Hi all

I have a PB here with a P key not working. I've replaced the scissor mechanism but the problem is that the springy rubber nipple is damaged. When I press on the contact underneath, it does type Ps with apparent contentment.

I found a source at http://www.irithm.com/Mac.key.replacemen...

with pretty good instructions, but, while they can provide the nipple, they don't say how to install it. It appears to be glued onto the keyboard base. (ifixit only sells complete keyboards.)

Any suggestions?

Hi Colleen! I just place the rubber piece where it goes on the contact, and then carefully press the key down on top of it. The key will click in place, and as long as the rubber part is in the right spot, it will be trapped in the proper position by the scissor mechanism and should function normally. It's not necessary to fasten it down, and in fact adhesives are not a good idea because they often disrupt the function of the contact, or affect the springiness of the rubber piece.

Also, if you are removing the rubber piece from another keyboard to use on your keyboard, you can use a razor to cut it out, or I just pinch it hard with two fingers and pull upward, and it normally comes right out.

Hi Colleen, I found a url detailing the info I believe you are asking for. Hope it is--good luck. Ralph

colleenthompson will be eternally grateful.