Mid 2009 Model A1278 / 2.26 or 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo processor EMC 2326

Broke socket for right speaker from the logic board

I used your guide "MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Mid 2009 Optical Drive Replacement" to install a second hard drive (SSD) on my macbook pro.

Unfortunately I broke the socket for the right speaker/subwoofer cable connector from the logic board.

See: Step 4 — Optical Drive.

Is it possible to solder the socket again on the logic board?

Is there something I must consider?

Should I use the socket or is it better to solder the cable directly on the logic board (pins)?

Do you know if there is something on the other side of the logic board which I can destroy by solder the cable on the logic bard?

The same happened with me today...:(

me too... the instructions were misleading.

Soldering logic boards is not easy, it takes special tools and skill. I suggest you use earphones or external speakers as a workaround. Yes you can damage the logic board and components on the reverse side.

If this answer was helpful please remember to return an mark it Accepted.

Most Helpful Answer

I know exactly what you mean. The same thing happened to me a couple of days ago. The repair is not for the light of heart.

What I did was first clean the connections on the logic board and socket with rubbing alcohol. Then I carefully super glued the socket in place (using very little glue and making sure the four metal leads on the socket are correctly aligned with the connectors on the board). I used super glue that allowed me thirty second before it set to give me enough time to make a change if needed. Further, I used a small flat edge screw driver to hold the socket in place while setting. I placed the bottom of the case back on without screwing in the screws that secure the part of the case that covers the logic board. I powered up the computer just to check if the subwoofer worked. It did not.

So I flipped the computer back over and took the bottom back off. I used a standard solder iron with a brass spade tip. Steel seems to attract the solder so it sticks to the steel, which I didn't want as I wasn't going to add any solder to the board. With Brass the solder seems to stay in place.

Using the point of the spade, I applied the solder iron to each one of the four leads for about two to three seconds being careful not to melt the plastic.

Without completely securing the bottom case, I turned the Mac back on and tested the speakers. They worked flawlessly. I finished securing the bottom case.

You soldered 4 terminals. There are 2 more terminal on the other side of the socket. Did you solder them as well?

This step made me permanently disconnect my right speaker and subwoofer. I've removed the optical drive in the past but this time, for some reason, the whole unit came off. I'd suggest anyone else removing the optical drive to try and skip this step if possible. I don't feel comfortable soldering this back to the motherboard, so it looks like I'm stuck with just a tinny sounding left speaker.

JoJo will be eternally grateful.