Couple of things you should look at with this problem it could be :
1. Check the On/Off operation of the pick-up Solenoid using the EDC Mode.
1. Replace the Solenoid, harness or Main PBA.
2. Check the Friction Pad surface for dirt or other contamination.
2. Clean the Pad-Friction using a lint free cloth and water or IPA.
3. Check that the paper is not creased, folded or curved.
3. Use fresh paper.
4. Check that the Paper Guide in the cassette is properly adjusted and that paper is poperly loaded.
4. Adjust the Paper Guide and load paper under the Finger.
Also check the paper path and the solenoids. You can test a variety of solenoids by following these instructions.This function allows the operation of various solenoids and clutches to be checked.
<How to operate>
a) Press the "<" or ">" key until "Solenoid Test" is displayed.
b) Press the "Enter" key to select this function.
c) Press the "<" or ">" key until you see the name of the clutch or solenoid you wish to test.
d) Press the "Enter" key to run the test. The test is stopped by pressing the "Upper Level" key.
e) Pressing the "Upper Level" key when the test is already stopped will return to step 'c' above.
f) Pressing the "Upper Level" key again will return to the EDC main menu." Hope this helps.