The Nikon D80 is a digital single-lens reflex camera model announced by Nikon on August 9th, 2006.

"err" message on the display, the answer is not clear

Hi There,

I have a problem,

When I switch on my Nikon D80

On the LCD "Err" is flashing.

THe Flash doesn't pop up

The AF Doesn't work

The DoF preview doesn't work.

But the shutter works, but no images are stored.

Sometimes the Mirror stays up, until I take the next picture.

I Have a Service manual, but this error isn't discribed.

I somehow managed to work for 10 Pictures but then the same happened again.

Any Idears, what could be the Problem.

I Hope you can help me.

Best regards

the answer is not clear

This Problem Happen to me Please help

how to fix d80 error f--

Usually, on a Nikon D80 with an "err" message that won't go away, the Aperture Control Unit must be repaired or replaced. There is a small switch contact held on by a small plastic rivet in the Aperture Control Unit that tells the electronics module in the camera what phase the camera is in during its cocking cycle. When that small plastic rivet breaks, the camera can't determine where it is in the cycle and just stops and displays the "err" message.

There are 2 ways of fixing the problem, replacing the part with the same plastic-riveted switch contact or taking the Aperture Control Unit apart and replacing the plastic rivet with a small steel screw which can't break again. I've been using the second method for 3 or 4 years now and haven't had a single body experience the same problem again.

Bob Kilbourn

http://www.camerarepairs.com

@Bob Kilbourn

Could you please provide more information about the location of the switch with the plastic rivet on the Aperture Control Unit of D80. I have mine apart but cannot locate the switch. I am looking at the long motor and the gears it moves up to the lever that pushes the aperture lever in lenses and the lever that loads the shutter mechanism but no switch there. Only a rotating-sliding three contacts switch in the gears and an optical movement detection system with a wheel like those used in the old ball-mouses. Thanks for your help so far. Pirro.

My D80 had a similar problem, displayed Err, wouldn't auto focus, hear the shutter no image saved. The images on the card could still be viewed. The manual states on page 132 that Err blinking is a camera malfunction and to send it in for service.

According to the authorized service center in my area the problem was;

Err Not Working.

Mirror / Box Operation Repaired

Aperture Mode / Operation Repaired

Checked and cleaned.

Replaced part, Aperture Control Unit $32 plus 2.48 tax.

$259.48 total cost with labor.

I can't say if this is a solution for you, but I was happy to pay for the service, these guys were very old school and I was glad I could support a small shop.

It seems to me the problem with the phase switch in the ap control is the design of the contacts not the plastic rivets per se and by the time you reach the point of rivet failure the contacts are quite worn, so I say replace the switch don't bother to repair it. Moreover, the design of the contacts has been improved perhaps for a later model that retro fits into the D80, that I don't know, just a guess. The last one I bought was $11. Plus my labor.

Addressing the "err message" in the Nikon D80 caused by the failure of the switch contact in the aperture control unit. The general disassembly of the D80 is not covered here. However, once access is gained to the mirror box, remove the entire aperture control unit assembly.

With the aperture control unit assembly removed, remove aperture control unit motor from the assembly.

Then remove the bottom of the housing for the contact gear.

Finally, access broken plastic post that retains contact on the gear and replace the broken post with appropriately sized screw (a very tiny and short screw will be needed).

Where can I get the screws? what's the size? is there a step by step on how to access and remove the ACU?

"ERR" indicates one of several problems which the Instructions Manual does not fully explain or list the possible causes. One possible problem is that the camera has a mechanical or technical problem, which MAY necessitate having it checked by a qualified Nikon technician. On the other hand, it might be something as simple of a full memory card, or a defective memory card; remove the memory card and insert a new memory card.

possibly a damaged cam gear on the aperture assembly

I have a D80 bought october 2008. The Err problem occurred after a year of two of (light) use. I got it repaired at the regional Nikon service center for like 200 euros. This year again the same Err problem, repairs would costs again 220 euros. It's hard to tolerate this from a semi-pro SLR.

I got the "Err" display on the lED in my Nikon D80 suddenly when I turn on it to take few images. wouldn't auto focus, hear the shutter but no image saved. I go through all the above procedure, i.e., cleaning of the Aperture Control Unit, replace the memory card and the "err" is still coming on the LED. Could anyone please help me to come out from this. if the problem will not gonna solve then will send it to service centre.

The shop who sold us the D80, a serious shop, told me that repair is rarely possible, but evaluating the repair/damage costs around 130 USD in CH-Currency.

He: "Either get a second hand one, or a new one"

Rather surprising, how failure prone this brand is, isn't it?

I don't think to buy a new one - from this brand.

Try taking off the lens. Clean the contact points on the lens and the body of the camera, The contact points look like a row of dots where the lens connect to the camera body. The contact points can get dirty or greasy after some time. Using a micro-fiber cloth and denatured alcohol to clean the contact points. Be careful not to touch the inside of the camera body or the glass on the inside part of the lens. Reattach the lens and see if that worked. If not, try a different lens. Still not working... sorry that's all I got.

I'm not quite understanding what needs to be replaced. What does the plastic post that retains the contact on gear look like?

rickfeldman, the post by Phototronic on Jan 20 shows a photo of the gray gear with the metal switch contact on it. The constant pressure of the 4 brush contacts on the right side of the switch causes the gray plastic nub where the red arrow is pointing to break off. The plastic rivet is actually just a small post on the gear that is melted down when the gear is manufactured and is not a secure way to hold the contact. That's why replacing the plastic nub/rivet with a steel screw is a better option than just replacing the gear with another one from Nikon. The Nikon D90 has a similar gear system but it was re-designed to take some of the load off the plastic nub/rivet which resulted in a much more reliable part. Alas, the D90 part is not backwards compatible with the D80 part.

Bob Kilbourn

http://www.camerarepairs.com

mrsasha will be eternally grateful.