HP Laptops designed for home and home office use.

HP Pavilion dv6z 300 LEDs and fan turn on, display is completely black

I've been having trouble with my display for a few months now. It will occasionally decide not to turn on. Today it will not turn on at all. Everything is in perfect condition otherwise. I've tried reinstalling the RAM, Hard Drive, doing a hard reset, ect. I've seen similar HP models that have the same problem. I'm considering taking it apart and checking all the connections to the display. Any advice? Thanks ahead of time!

I have also noticed the caps lock key blinks too and the hard drive indicator is static

Update: I disassembled the whole thing and made sure the connections were okay, reseated the Processor, et cetera, with the same result. At this point not knowing whether it's the CPU or the motherboard, I don't think I'm going to go any further. It's gonna cost me more than it's worth. Thanks anyway for the help.

R. I. P. My PC.

Does it make any noise when you press the startup button?

I can hear the fan, and the disk drive if I happen to have a DVD in.

Have you tried an external monitor? Check the answers on this question Why does power go off immediately after turning it on? and see if that will help you out. Good Luck.

Thank you. I might try that. I've also noticed that the caps lock light is blinking, and other lights that should be showing the status of a device (i. e. hard disk) are instead static.

Marcus Bizal, let us know what you find. I keep wondering if you are running into the GPU error....

Try running it with different or one RAM module at a time and see if it helps. Caps Lock is a RAM issue according to HP but these laptops are notorious for failing video cards. It's probably the video card. Still, try this to be sure it's not the RAM. If it is, replace it all. Don't mix and match.

Sometimes cleaning the slots and reseats help. Try that before junking the RAM.

If the RAM doesn't fix it, it's a GPU issue. At this point, trash the laptop. These get way too hot, have crappy coolers and the GPU's are known defective. HP got sued over these laptops because they're that bad. This was also because they lied about the defect and sold these when they knew they were garbage.

I did everything you said, same result. Thank you for your help anyway.

it's likely not the CPU, but it usually is the motherboard at fault in these HP's, take it apart and sell the parts on eBay, just not the motherboard and HDD

Marc Bizal will be eternally grateful.