Revamped version of the iPhone 3G with faster processing speeds. Repair of this device is similar to the 3G, and requires simple screwdrivers and prying tools. Model A1303 / 16 or 32 GB capacity / black or white plastic back.

Replacement battery reported 100% for hours until it died

Now it doesn't charge at all I get the red battery with the lightning bolt when I try to power on while plugged in...obviously that should only happen for a few minutes and now it's been several hours. At first it reported 48% but charged to 100% in almost no time at all and stayed there until it ran out of power.

I only replaced the battery because I wasn't thrilled with the old one. Do I have a faulty battery?

simple answer is yes. send it back. Try your old battery just to make sure you don't have a charging circuit problem but it doesn't sound like it.

well I tried the old battery and now it's doing the same thing...I followed the guide precisely and I don't see how I damaged anything...any suggestions?

EDIT: after looking around the net (nothing that directly described my situation) Thinking it was possibly a software issue (hoping too) I did a restore with my old battery and when it finally booted to IOS it reported 97% and went to 98% a few minutes after. So I'm going to stick with my old battery until my next days off and try again with the replacement.

fingers crossed!

johndmcdowell will be eternally grateful.