Where can I find the rear fan grill?

I have a MacBook A1181 (2006) that needs a fan grill (it's located at the back [not bottom]), right behind where the display hinge is. Does anyone know where I can buy one?

Actually, it may be called something else, just not sure what else to call it. It's the white, thin, curved shield across the back of the machine, where the LCD hinge is.

Answered! View the answer I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 0


We really need to know Exactly which machine you have. Please give the last three figures of your serial number.


The last 3 digits of my system's serial number are WGK.


Add a comment
Mac RAM Kits
Speed up your Mac. Max out its memory.
Mac RAM Kits
Get more memory out of your Mac.

1 Answer

Chosen Solution

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Is it made of white plastic? If so, it's one of the case components. Depending on location, it might be the clutch cover, or (more likely) the bottom case:

MacBook Clutch Cover

MacBook Lower Case

Installation guides for those two parts are on the respective item pages.

Warning: Replacing bottom case components on an A1181 MacBook is an ugly job. You pretty much have to disassemble the entire bottom half of the computer.


As I look at my own A1181 lower case, I think I see what you're talking about. The grill is separable from the rest of the case - it fits into slots next to the hinges.

That said, I've never seen a grill available for sale as a separate item. I suspect it's included with most resellers' lower cases, although the photos one sees are usually from the battery side, so you can't see the hinge area. Here's an eBay auction listing a photo from the hinge side - you can see the grill clearly:

Macbook A1181 Bottom Case Assembly

You'll have to go to the site to check the photos - thank you, eBay, for not letting civilians link directly.

As iFixit is currently out of stock, you might search for the full bottom cases by Apple part numbers: 922-7382 or 922-7896.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 1


Actually, it is neither of these. It's the rear grill. Here is a picture of what it looks like. http://oi40.tinypic.com/214dnqs.jpg


Perfect--THERE it is! Somehow I never saw that it came attached to the lower case already. Thanks a lot.


Da nada. Glad to be of help.


Add a comment

Add your answer

Evan will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 0

Past 7 Days: 0

Past 30 Days: 1

All Time: 759