MacBook

The MacBook family was first introduced in May 2006 and replaced the iBook as Apple's consumer laptop.

Beeping sound every 5 seconds, it won't turn on

Help ... anyone. My Mac Book won't turn on. It was literally working fine one day. I shut it down and the next time I went to turn it on, it wouldn't. I instead get a single beeping sound every 5 seconds. The LED on the front of the computer also blinks one time in sync with the beeping. Any advice?

It sounds like something's going on with your RAM. When the computer has a RAM issue (like the RAM's failed, or the computer can't detect it, or it can detect it but it's an incompatible type), hitting the power button causes one or more beeps, sometimes accompanied by a blinking sleeplight:

Power On Self-Test Beep Definition - Part 2

Intel-based Mac Power On Self Test RAM error codes

One beep = no RAM installed. Have you been playing arond with RAM recently, or has the computer gotten knocked around?

The first thing to try is to reseat the RAM correctly:

Installing MacBook Core 2 Duo RAM

The process for installing/removing RAM on the earlier A1181 Core Duo MacBook is identical. I like to use a pink pencil eraser to rub the RAM contacts clean of scuzz, and use a soft, dry toothbrush to brush the rubber crumbs off the RAM contacts and clean the inside of the RAM socket. Then reinstall, reassemble and reboot, and see if anything changes.

If that doesn't work, the next step is to replace the RAM - preferably with sticks that you've seen working in another computer, so you can be sure they're good.

Mentioned Items

bios problem

dont worry about delicately descuzzing your macbook. just accept the planned obsolescence and finance a new one. sorry, you will have to buy new horn rimmed glasses next year.

In all seriousness, its not ram, maybe bios. probably some simple unaccessable setting. its most likey the top case power button getting stuck down. is it worth buying a new keyboard, aka top case? probably not. There is no way to tell if this is it unless you can remove topboard and then trip the power by connecting the contacts to signal power on to this machine borne in the depths of !@#$. seriously, are you still reading this? you dont know how to do that, do you? Google it, get into it, or just get a new one. 98 screws later im finally able to access the keyboard of this Job's boobie trap. I have cuts on my fingers and im expecting some punji skicks to come out into my eyes and tell me to give apple more money. no no no, i kid, i kid. but seriously im bleeding. I have taken apart a lot of laptops, every time i take apart the a1811 i bleed. Thats not normal. Dont go in there. I am a lowly street urchin, but its not worth bleeding over. Please just buy a new airbook. Sell your old one on ebay. Save your HDD.

That's happened to me. Just keep pressing the power button for a long time, and then let go, and press it down again. You are restarting it, but you just can't tell when it's shutting down since the screen is already black. I don't think it gets rid of the problem forever (it hasn't for me) but that's a way to get it to function normally.

manuelespinosa9 will be eternally grateful.