Skip to main content

A handheld gaming console made by Valve, released on February 25, 2022.

108 Questions View all

I made a BUBU

I accidentally spilled an isopropyl alcohol on my ONEXPLAYER 1s. And its a 70% solution. I just recently talk to the vendor and they said that its out of warranty. Other than LCD damage. Would Isopropyl alcohol do some damage on the board? I know that this report isn't should be on steam deck. But its the closest device to my unit. Pls. Help.

Answer this question I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 0
Add a comment

1 Answer

Most Helpful Answer

Hi @delta01xray

All liquids conduct electricity to some extent, except distilled water.

Isopropyl alcohol will conduct also when wet especially if it is only a 70% solution as the other 30% is either water or some other liquid. Isopropyl Alcohol is used to clean electronics and usually it is 99%+ and it is used when all the power has been disconnected from the device being cleaned. The beauty of using IPA 99%+ is that it evaporates quickly and leaves no residues, conductive or otherwise, whereas 70% IPA may leave residues that are conductive and can also start corrosion occurring between the metals on the motherboard which can cause further problems if left without being cleaned off.

The trouble with modern battery powered electronic devices is that the power button is not a power isolating button so there's always power somewhere on the motherboard even if the device is "off". The power button is used to signal the intentions of the user i.e. turn on, turn off, sleep etc. Think of the device as being in an extremely low power state when off and not that it is totally disconnected from any power.

The device will have to be opened, the battery disconnected and then the motherboard inspected for any obvious component damage

Was this answer helpful?

Score 1
Add a comment

Add your answer

Joshua will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 1

Past 7 Days: 3

Past 30 Days: 20

All Time: 76