Released October 2008 / 2.4, 2.53, 2.66, 2.8 or 2.93 GHz Core 2 Duo Processor

How to repair a bent corner of the aluminum lid?

Long story short, I accidentally dropped my MacBook Pro. It hit the ground and bent the corner of the aluminum of the lid. My computer works fine and the screen is fine, so this is merely a cosmetic question. How can I bend it back? Since it is aluminum I am guessing that I should be able to bend this back and solve my issue. For a $2000 computer designed with aesthetics as part of the appeal, I would like to fix this without getting ripped off $600 by apple.

I am sure this happens everyday, so this is not a knew question, but I am still curious if there is a DIY fix.

You'll have to dismantle

it extensively... but you can use popsicle sticks and/or a small ball-peen hammer (for shaping the curve), soft mallets & pine blocks to work the metal. You may have to use c-clamps to hold it steady, and to hold down make a backing block of pine or other soft wood.

Be careful not to overwork or stretch the aluminum, you can make wrinkles or cause brittle tears if you do.

Good Luck,

N.

thankyou you are a big help

Buy a used panel in good condition on ebay. It's precision casting aluminum I don't think you can repair it particularly if aesthetic is important for you.

Used a guitar capo with soft rubber ends to bend it back

I did this on a new macbook pro (13") and made the mistake of bending the corner back with a pair of needle nose pliers which scratched the aluminum before I could get it back into shape. Then I dropped it AGAIN on the other corner and bent both sides back without dismantling with a Kyser KG12B guitar capo (runs maybe $12) which is designed to not scratch guitars. It's not perfect like it was but I'm over it and now closes without scraping the bottom case. I also purchased a black speck snap-on case and it looks great.

Disclaimer: If you go this route be very gentle when shaping the top case as not to put any stress on your screen or you'll turn a little problem into a big problem.

Hey, I just did this with my 13" Macbook Pro and it worked like a charm, though it's still not perfect. I simply used a needle nose pliers on top of some plastic packaging from a pair of headphones, but you could use the pliable plastic that comes in the packaging of anything. Simply place the plastic underneath the pliers and slowly and carefully bend the casing of the Macbook. If you go through the plastic at all, move the pliers to a different spot on the plastic. Good luck!

I too had this same problem with the corner of my 2012 13" macbook air. I bought needle nose pliers and tried to bend it back to no avail. However, after researching through the forums I realized that my credit card (Chase Saphire) would pay up to $500 to repair it since I had bought the item within the 90 day period (to replace the screen will cost $400). I believe Visa Signature also does the same thing. I am definitely going to buy a hard case for it once I get it back in a couple of days.

Be sure to check if your card has the same opportunities!

I have the same problem with the corner of my 13" MacBook Pro. Dropped it twice like an idiot. After a few days I finally noticed and I'm worried now, any easy cheap ways to fix?

Kaya - did you read any of the cheap DIY solutions above? The "easy" way is expensive - replace the case. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I agree, get it fixed and stop b#%*+%#tching about cash! Why worry when it's going to be fixed correctly! If you dropped it, no apple care, you cannot cry now to late! Get it fixed or buy another one simple as that! It sucks but they are going to charge more at Apple and a little not less at a repair shop for macs! Mac's are a pain in the a#%*ss but very strong computers a dent is not as bad as a non working one and have to get it repaired, after being dropped! Man up!

That was incredibly un-helpful. Thanks!

with whatever due respect (cuck)-- "manning up", in the old days, would've meant fixing it-- not burning cash and throwing something in a landfill.

if you could put a really good vacuum on the small dent you might be able to reshape the aluminum but you might have to be cautious not to over do it. good luck.

michael Villegas will be eternally grateful.