video card replacement? cannot find a guide,
Is there a guide for a late 2009 27 inch iMac for video card replacements?
Is this a good question?
Please be sure that you have a compatible video card to install. The video card will need to have the same heatsink as the one originally installed. The video card will need to have the Apple firmware installed on it. - Same model of video card, found cheaper, with the non-Apple firmware on it will not work unless you flash the BIOS of the video card with the proper firmware.
The video card unfortunately is underneath the motherboard. The gist of a guide to follow would be the iFixit tear down guide
Summary of steps:
(1) Remove RAM (makes it easier to remove logic board from housing).
(2) Remove the display. Guide for doing that is here.
(3) Disconnect all cables from logic board, tape them back to near where they came from to get them out of the way, also this makes them easier to find and to reconnect.
(4) Unscrew and remove logic board (which has MXM slotted video board attached to it).
(5) Set logic board flat on a static safe area.
(6) Unscrew MXM video board heat sink screws that connect it to logic board, and disconnect it from the logic board.
(7) Plug in the upgrade/replacement video board.
(8) Put everything back together.
(9) Enjoy your new video card.
If you haven't taken your iMac apart before, expect to spend 90min + if you're careful about everything.
If you have, it can be done in ~30-45min.
Additional tip: When you reinsert the logic board, have a USB cable or similar handy to plug into the back to help align the logic board when you re-seat it.
30 minutes - 1 hour
Was this answer helpful?
Past 24 Hours: 0
Past 7 Days: 0
Past 30 Days: 1
All Time: 1,381