Model A1136 / 30, 60, or 80 GB hard drive / black or white plastic front

Can't get my iPod to go to disk mode

I just replace the battery in my ipod. When i turn it on, it says that i need Itunes to restore it but when i hook it up, i get the red x. I heard that i need to put in disk mode first to restore it but when i try, all i get is the apple screen then a blank then a apple again, then it ask for Itunes again. Is there something i'm missing (besides my hold switch which i am waiting to come in) to get into disk mode?

Update: i was able to get the ipod into diagnostic mode and when i did the Hd drive test, it failed so i guess it has either a bad hd cable or hd.

The red X and the fact that you can not get your iPod into Disk mode is a pretty good indication that you are having Hard Drive problems. Somewhere on here people are pretty successful with slapping the iPod really hard, so as to free a stuck HDD. I is my opinion that if it does work, it is only temporary. I would go ahead and replace the HDD and the HDD cable. Not a terrible complicated task, and cheaper than a new iPod. You'll find the guide right here. Hope this helps, good luck.

Slapping the Ipod worked for me too!!

giguhbyt will be eternally grateful.