5

Skippy722
3k

Makes brewing noise but doesn't brew?

It's a Keurig Elite but lately it hasn't been making full cups of coffee, and just today it finally decided that it no longer wants to brew anything at all and I'm at a loss... Is this thing salvageable?

Edited by: Skippy722 ( )

My Keurig has a small leak that is coming from the bottom of the unit. It starts to leak towards the end of the dispense cycle. Has anyone had this problem? Not much of a handyman but I was wondering if there was an easy fix, other than buying another one.

Martha,

paper clip worked for me and cleaned with vinegar good as new!!!!!!!!!

Gene Brown,

your a life saver . I did as you said with the paper clip and now my keurig works like a charm. Thank you so much.

kknepp54,

Thanks. On Christmas Day, What a life saver!! Merry Christmas!

bggoodison,

Thank you, fixed my Keurig this morning thanks to this post!

Sandy Kreps,

19

Tim
259

I had this problem and called the Keurig support number. They helped me fix it. Your tool bag for this project is a paper clip.

First, take out the plastic holder that holds the K-cups. You should be able to turn it a little and it just lifts out.

Once out, take that piece apart. It easily snaps together and apart.

Once it's in two pieces, you see the bottom of the small metal tube that pokes the hole into the bottom of the K-cup. Take the paper clip and insert it into the tube and see if you can dislodge any tiny bits of coffe, tea, or whatever you've been drinking. You can run water over the tube while you do this.

Second, lift up the handle in front all the way up. If you look under the top, you see the second set of tubes that inject the water into the K-cup. There should be three of the tubes. Use the paper clip and clean them out as well.

Put it all back together and get a glass measuring cup. Run three batches of water through the machine without using a K-cup. Each time, note the amount of debris in the water, and note how much water is being put into the cup. You want the water to be almost clear and the amount to be consistent.

If this doesn't work, keep calling Keurig support. You have a 1 year warranty and if it won't work, they will eventually agree and send you a new machine. (Assuming you have your dated receipt.) My brother got them to send him a new machine because his stopped brewing too. They didn't want it back so he decided to take it apart to see what the problem was. He said he had a split water line, so in that case, no amount of pipe cleaning was going to help.

Good luck. I use my Keurig every day and really like it.

We use the re-usable coffee filter on it instead of the K-Cups but I'll check it out... the noise it makes sounds like a strained noise instead of it's normal motor noise... like it's exerting pressure but there's a blockage.

Skippy722,

Thank you!!! Worked perfectly and it even makes decently sized cups now!

Skippy722,

I had this same problem and this answer solved it instantly and easily! Thanks so much, Tim!!

Amy,

I thought my Keurig was a goner but this worked like a champ. Thanks so much!

sleepychica33,

Paper clip worked! What yucky stuff clogged! I even ran vinegar water through every month and it still clogged. Paper clip saves the day!

Linda Childress,

4

Jeff
49

I took the two screws off under the lid opened it up and discovered one of the pump hoses came off. I put it back on and it was good as new. It was easy to get the lid off. Just Need a small Phillips head screwdriver and a flashlight to see.

Same issue here

Nic,

Mine has the screw heads that the smallest Phillips screwdriver not an option - they have it like an octagon as if they do not want you to allow your own repair - any suggestions?

Carla,

Carla - Mine does to! Did figure it out? Malisa

malisagibbons,

Mine makes a humming sound and says not ready and then turns off automatically I'm trying to unscrew things and see if it is blocked. It was working when we left for the summer but didn't brew coffee when we just returned. Hmmmmm

Joanne,

Never heard back from anyone. After working on it, I finally got it to work. My daughter said she just returns it to Costco and replaces it I did lose a screw but it works. Now need to clean out the vinegar Joanne

Joanne,

3

Marc
37

Take the top cover off the brew area removing the two silver screws under the lid where the k-cup is located

Removed the zip tie leading to the water filter.

Lifted the black ring that holds the hose that goes to the needle and pull the hose up

Blew back down that line and lots of sediment will come out from behind the filter

Turn the unit on and let it brew hot water into the holding tank just so you can see if it is cleared

*

Replaced everything to its original position including putting a new zip tie

on the line you removed.

*

This is the third Keurig I have fixed that has had the same problem.

Generally, you have to de-scale the Keurig every three months

You don't have to use a whole tank of vinegar.

Put a 50/50 mix of vinegar and filtered water in the tank, run it once

Let the brewer sit for 45 mins so the vinegar can act on the scale

Run it a second time and let it sit for 15.

Then empty the tank, washing it throughly or you will get slime that builds up on the side and at the inlet at the bottom of the tank.

Now run the clean water through the Keurig for a few passes until you no longer smell vinegar.

Was just about to drop 150 bucks for new one but decided to take apart and clean out the part with needle that punctures top of k cup. I had water backing into the resevoir and when I cleaned out it works perfectly. I actually brewed hot water thru while holding the waterline in my hand into a mug before I put back together. Sounds weird but I held that piece with metal puncture point on it over sink and blew into it and the grinds just shot out into sink. Soaked that part in hot soapy water put back together and works like it's brand new!

explorer2107,

Took the two screws off but the top won't come off? Even took the handle off and it still seems stuck on something

Beth ,

2

jryll1
25

Also check the filter in the water reserve. I tried all the above with no luck. I then removed the three screws inside the water tank, took out the metal mesh filter, and tried to run the system. Worked perfectly. I then tested the filter by putting water on it, and it was almost water proof.

Check this first if pump sounds laboured truing to refill heated reservoir.....worked perfectly after cleaning screen in cold reservoir thanks!

ken,

The filter at the bottom of the reservoir is the first thing I check. The mesh looks clear, until you hold it up to a strong light and see a gel-like coating on it.

Gayle,

1

mark
13

Ok...Mine had similar issues. After trying all of these I was still unable to get water to flow. So, I took the head apart. I then removed the hose from the nozzle that is in the head. I started to brewer, carefully holding the hose in a cup. I got some water flow, but not much. I then took the nozzle out of the head and blew through it. Apparently it is a pressure sensitive nozzle and it may have been stuck as I was able to clear it out. I ran the cycle through the brewer several more time before I was able to get good flow through the hose. I then hooked it back up to the nozzle and it works. I just made a fresh pot...good to have you back Keurig.

Be careful with the hose when brewing as the water is very hot.

The burping method may have had the most impact as I would have the machine on and tilt it upside down (water reservoir removed) and I could get some flow.

We have never had a problem with our original Keurig. Two things we have done that may have prevented problems. 1) Once a year or so we would run a solution of white vinegar and water through the system (50/50) and 2) was that I always pressed the kcup down in the holder, thereby releasing the pressure and not allowing grounds to go up the water tube. I did that because there were certain kcups were I could stretch the amount of coffee (green mount dark magic) and get one cup of about 16 oz. After brewing my first cup, I would remove the kcup and I would massage the kcup to realign the coffee. I would always place the kcup in the holder at 12 o'clock so that it would be easy to put back in to add to the cup I just made.

mark,

1

Cal
13

I had this problem with my single cup unit after it had sat unused for three months. Tried the paper clip, no luck. Then I found a post elsewhere that said that if the pump dries out, it can't re- prime itself. I took a turkey injector without the needle, filled it with water and placed it over the hole in the bottom of the reservoir and gave it a strong blast of water until water came out where the coffee normally does. That did the trick.

I had the same issue and this did the trick! Thanks for sharing, now I can have my morning coffee again

Chris Davis,

The screws are impossible to remove.

Roxann Suits,

0

acordatos
1

Had the same issue with a clog. I had to remove the two screws under the cover and clean out the hose it's self. Once I completed it ran like new!!! Tried the paper clip but the clog was too much.

0

Joseph Dunegan
1

Yes! I have the smaller, cheaper unit that a friend gave us. I was so mad that I didn't get my morning coffee, but then found this forum. Thank you! Thank you! Thank You! It's almost noon but I'm having my morning cup o' jo!

0

martha
1

thank you so much Iam so glad for the information it saved my keuig and made me very happy to be able to have my cup of coffee thank you again have a blessed day

Martha sanchez

0

Claudette
1

Thank you so much. The paper clip worked like a charm. I went from no water to brewing full cups, even better than before.

0

louisd1205
1

I had these problems with my Keurig brewer. I did all of the above and it worked for a while. I now use ONLY distilled water. I also shut the brewer off everyday so it can reset. Sometimes I only get a second partial cup so I turn it off between cups when it acts up like this. I don't think these machines were built to last several years. I had mine going on three years with all of these problems.

0

Tom Pipes
1

The paperclip trick does it again! Thanks Tim for your response, indeed it saved me from throwing out my B40 elite. Like others have said, repeatedly running vinegar through did not do the trick. Also worth mention was that there was enough pressure to push an entire cup of WATER through without the K-cup, but it would not brew more than a small amount IF ANY.

0

larry
1

Most of the problems are caused by minerals in the water. Take the tank off and see if there is a strainer (if there is back blow with compressed air, you may have to remove it ..3 screws...I did) reinstall and check that water flows freely when valve depressed. Go to store and purchase DISTILLED WATER in gallon jugs (not spring water)...about a dollar a gallon...use this only...My problems were ...add water light on when full...brewing a half of a cup...descale light on...you may want to descale it at the same time...Mine has been working great for about six months...

0

Linda
1

Thank you !!! Saved me buying a new machine. I used the paper clip several times. It didn't seem like anything came out on the paper clip, but after the third time through I was getting water through better and clearer than I had for weeks.

0

John
1

I was in the same boat.. half cup brewing. I used paper clips (very helpful) I read to put the whole machine in the sink and use your pressure hose over the water reservoir for 30 seconds to flush the system which im sure helped clean the lines but caused the water to not siphon. I was one step away from either tearing it apart or throwing it in the garbage when I tipped the whole machine upside down and shook it. IT WORKS PERFECTLY NOW! coincidence? no clue but hey, it works. figured I'd share for all those who are at wits end like I was.

Coincidence, I think not. It worked!

Amy Ragon,

0

Terijan
1

You are a hero! You saved no only my Keurig and me, but also the countless lives with whom I will come in contact today! Hooray!

0

Carol
1

Well I have done everything here that everyone says except for taking it apart. Still does not work, think I am going to take a sledge hammer to it and tell people never to buy one of these coffeemakers!

0

Derek Joyce
1

We were having lots of trouble and I had tried everything including taking it apart to clear the lines. We finally heard about the perfect solution - instead of descaling with vinegar we used the CLR product. It works great now.

0

roman
1

already had bought another machine, daaam

0

Nancy
1

Tried the paperclip solution once before and it didn't work. Tried it again today and finally dislodged whatever was blocking the flow of water. Working for now, hope it stays that way. Thank you.

0

lisa
1

I had to give it a good whack!!!!!!! That worked!!!!!!

0

Cal Carter
1

Have Oster model, water does not flow from the reservoir into the machine so it can brew?

0

cattylady07
1

Nothing works...tried to brew hot water just into the tank (per instructions above and taking the upper apart) it brewed once now I can't get it to do it again...its like the water isn't getting in the tube and then when it does, it stops at the connection part...no clogs in the line...back blew through the tube and some water comes out but I can't blow back in the tube all the time...HELP

Ok had the same problem tried all the tricks paperclip,blowing back through the line removed the filter in the tank nothing worked.Here is what worked for me lift the handle up remove the two tiny screws take the top cover and handle off.There is a little check valve filter thing coming from the supply hose from the pump that sticks take the hose off of it and stick something in there and free it up.This is what was not allowing the water to come out ,works great now.

gerry,

0

Julie
1

i took the bottom plate off of mine looked at hoses..didnt really see anything wrong with it so i i plugged it back in while it was laying on its side so if there was something coming out where the water tank is it would pour out in the sink and bam water started coming out on its own...unplugged it then put all the screws back in the bottom set it back up and plugged it in. turned it back on and it was working like new..ran thru the steps of running vinger through it and its working like new

Edited by: Julie ( )

0

rhino
1

After moving mine would not prime, I tried all of the tricks you find on here I was ready to give up. I took the top where the k cup goes in and I pulled the hose off of the one way valve, I then took a meat injector syringe and put it in the hose while blocking the over flow back into the water tank with my thumb I pulled and pushed water thru the the hose until i got hat water coming out of the hose. this will push water into the tank and prime the pump.

it now works just fine.

I just tilted mine to one side then the next and this allowed it prime itself. Becareful though very hot water. But that worked for me....

troy0074,

0

John Motley
1

I am currently serving in Afghanistan and our Keuring B130 quit working a few days ago. We had to go back to the old fashioned coffeemaker, which was very painful. I was waiting on my wife to send some Keurig Cleaner from the states, when I got desperate and decided to research it on the web. I found your site, used the paper clip trick, and ran two cups of straight vinegar through it and it works like a champ again. The Taliban can sleep easier knowing that we're no longer Keurig-deprived of our caffeine fix. Thanks for the very informative site! Happy Holidays to all from Afghanistan!

Happy holidays.. Thanks for ALL YOU do. ......

katarina,

0

Shirley
1

I just purchased a new Keurig K-Cup. No water would come out. I did as you recommended and sure enough, the hose was not connected. It works great now that it is connected.

Thank You!

0

Hudson Smith
1

MARK has the answer!!! Take the top lid off and check the tubings to make sure they are all connected. I had called customer service and after I tole them I had done all of their trouble shootings from their website she said she would just send me a new machine. Well oops now ww got it working thanks to MARK and have a new machine on the way!! To bad Keuig doesn't tell their customers this trick! It sure would save them a few bucks! Oh Well, its fine with me and now I have coffee again!!

0

LeLe Calhoun
1

Wow! Absolutely amazing. This worked for me as well. I was skeptical as it was such an easy fix. I jumped for joy when the water began running through. Thanks so much for this advice.

0

benni4241
1

Tried the paper clip trick.... worked like a charm. Thank you for saving me the expense of a new brewer!

0

John Daus
1

Thanks for the help. The paper clip help loose the back wash, but also had to take the top off to squeeze the tube to get the extra coffee bits out while running it.

0

Tiara Poventud
1

YES! The paperclip thing worked like a charm! I was so upset that my machine stopped working this morning, I got it as a gift and I don't have a receipt or a even the box it came in! I'm so excited and happy that machine brews again! yayy Thank you Tim!

0

Dweeks
1

I took air hose and connected to rubber safety hose inside water resovoiur and blew out . Took 1 second. Dw

Edited by: Dweeks ( )

0

Vickie
1

PAPERCLIP totally worked! Thank you!!! Saved my morning! I canNOT go without my Keurig!

0

nancy
1

I have a new Mini - not brewing coffee!! or Water.

But can empty the water.

Whats up ? any suggestions.

The brew light does not come on unless you hold down to empty. And Water is not HOt.

thanks

Nancy

0

Chris
1

I have the K75 model. Been fine for 4.5 years. Today, won't brew. Tried paperclip, no success. Took top off like Mark mentioned, removed hose. Ran it and water comes out. Connect it back up, water doesn't come out. Can blow compressed air through the tube at the top of the reservoir and water comes out the regular way. But when I connect it all back up and press brew, it sputters and doesn't do anything. It is as if it isn't pumping anything through the system.

Ideas?

0

Sandie LifeInPositudiness
1

I was just about to throw this machine away... I just couldn't give up tho, searched more info and landed on this page. What did it for me was unscrewing the top cover. Guess what I found... An disconnected hose!! I'm so excited that Mark and Jeff shared their experience and saved my Keurig!! Thanks guys ;)

0

Sandy Andina
1

I have the Breville version, three+ years old. It's a replacement Sur La Table gave me, no questioned asked, when the first one short-cupped after only a month. (I'd owned a Keurig B75 Platinum that had failed twice and been replaced twice by Keurig--and broke again a week past warranty expiration). I use Crystal Geyser water, and sometimes filtered water from the fridge. After it short-cupped sporadically, I descaled 6 mos. ago, which worked for awhile. In the past couple of weeks, not only did it start short-cupping drastically but also took forever to heat and brew. Got so that I had to use my espresso machine to add either hot water or brew a shot of espresso into the black coffee in the cup!

Did the paper-clip thing on the needles and cleaned the reservoir screens--then it heated a full cup of hot water (slooowly) but only a half-cup of tea. Removed reservoir again to unscrew the top in order to check the hoses (housing the My K-Cup holder and scoop) but found and removed only two screws. And the top would not budge, so I put the screws back in. Next, I removed the reservoir again and hit EVERYTHING that had a hole in it with a blast of canned air. Then I dragged the machine to the sink, turned it upside down and shook and whomped it on the bottom a couple of times. Brought it back, replaced the reservoir, plugged it in and turned it on. Had to reprogram it--and this time it brewed a full 7-oz. cup of Sumatra (as swiftly as when new) on the default 7-oz. setting. Keeping fingers crossed. Next time if it malfunctions I will do all of the above plus descale. If that doesn't work, I will let it rest in peace--at its age it's already beaten the Reaper. Would replace it with a Vue were it not for the huge backlog of K-cups I still have (several months' supply, at an average of six or seven cups a day). But meanwhile, I've developed a taste for a "red-eye" (that shot of 'spro brewed into a cup of coffee). ;-)

0

jlklaw1
1

Used Tim's paper clip method. The first time I was only successful in getting drips about one a second. I tried it again and pushed the clip further up the three upper tubes. It immediately started working like the day I bought it! Thank you.

0

Dave
1

I tried everything and went through 3 units. So I finally took two screws off under lid pulled top cover,pull of the hose that goes to the filler neck ( it goes to the spout to fill your mug and while it's running trying to fill suck the hose until water comes out then replace everything back an it works

0

Judi A Knight
1

I was having the same issue. I tried cleaning the holes, etc. and nothing seemed to work. It seemed as though it was not pulling water in from the reservoir at all. After reading online< I decided to make sure that the bottom of the reservoir was cleaned out. Much to my surprise there was some sort of slime on the insides of the reservoir!!! NASTY! I cleaned out the mesh at the bottom and am running lemon juice water through this. But this is disturbing as we have only been using this for 2 months. We fill the water up daily. YUCK!

Edited by: Judi A Knight ( )

0

Michael
1

I wanted to thank all for helping me with with i was so worried that it was broken i live off of mine :)

0

skeeterwade
1

Here's what I did to solve the problem. You'll need a small screw driver, two small ty-wraps, a paperclip, and vinegar and water. Here's the process:

1. Descale the brew machine using the instructions from Kuerig

2. Clean out the exit needles using a paper clip per the Kuerig instructions

3. Clean the one-way valve. This valve is located inside the unit beneath the top cover of the unit. It will gum up and inhibit the flow of water through the unit. Cleaning/blowing it out will fix this issue.

a. Unplug the unit.

b. Remove the water container from the unit.

c. Remove the top cover from the unit. This requires removing the two small screws from

the bottom of the top cover. Open the top as you would to put in a k-cup. The two

small screws are located on the top. You'll need a flashlight to see them.

d. The one-way valve is located on the top and is a larger clear rubber valve attached to

the inlet needle on one end and the hose to the heater on the other end. This end is

secured with two small ty-warps. Remove the two small screws holding the valve in

place. Cut the ty-wraps and remove the valve from the inlet needle and hose.

e. Take the one-way valve and blow it out from the end that was hooked to the

heater hose. I used a small air compressor to clear the valve. You'll see the check

valve move open and closed on the inside while blowing it out.

4. Replace the one-way valve.

5. Replace the cover. This can be a pain since it's hard to see the holes and screws. Be prepared for a few cuss words. If you drop the screws into the k-cup holder you can shake it and they will fall out the bottom.

6. Replace the water container.

7. Plug the brewer in and test.

Now you can run a cup or two through the system. Again I used a small compressor to blow out the one-way valve. This worked best for me and made the repair quick. The unit has been working like brand new since this repair.

0

babc303
1

I too used the paper clip, had better luck with pipe cleaners. I noticed that often times the some coffee would fly up when the lid was closed so I figured that the problem with the out spout becoming clogged was not a brewer problem, but a K-cup problem.

I emailed Keurig with this solution but they weren't receptive. The clogging problem is solved by USING A PUSH PIN OR WHATEVER TO PUNCTURE THE K-CUP (this releases the pressure in the cup, hence no coffee evacuating into the brewer outlet hole) THEN PUT THE K-CUP in the brewer and proceed.

I believe that if I'd punctured the K-Cup from day one that 90% of the problems would have not occurred. Good Brewing to all.

Paul B

Edited by: babc303 ( )

0

Patti
1

thank you thank you. It just happened to me this morning and my machine is only a month old. Sure enough I found a few small specks of coffee in the upper pin. Amazing to think that would cause it not to work, but that was it. Cleaned it out and viola , all fixed.

0

Deborah Dintsch
1

I had not used my brewer in about 3 months. I turned it on and the water heated up and I pressed Brew , Nothing. then the water started coming out of the over flow hose back into the water reservoir. My son took a can of compressed air that he uses to clean the computer. Put the hose of the compressed air into the hole that didn't have water coming out of it. As he did this brown water came out of the brewer where the coffee is normally made and filled a large cup. Then we put more water in the tank and he did it again. Not as brown this time. The Brewer now works. brews the correct amount of oz for what is chosen. Thank You Son. works great now.

0

Kristen Lauziere
1

Ours was doing the same thing. I just unscrewed the top cover and found out one of the water tubes was not connected. Put that back on and it started working!

0

John
1

THANK YOU! Amazing, tried the paper clip fix and it's good as new. You won't believe the names I called my Keurig, in my un-caffeinated stupor... Let's just hope the neighbors didn't hear my rant.

0

Jaimey Ross
1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4i7pMWb... Just follow these instructions.. Solved all my problems.

0

josephnewkirk
1

Take all removeable parts (reservoir lid / reservoir / cup rest) . Unplug & take it to sink / tub or outside table. Take a bottle of water & flip it upside down on the water entry point & force water thru machine ... should unclog asap.

0

CoffeeBob
1

OK, this works. You will need perhaps 1.5 hours+.

I have the 1-cup version, so I pour one coffee cup of water in for each cup of coffee.

This cleaning process is very frustrating at first. If you have a short fuse or limited patience, plan to do this process once per hour over a day, or an evening.

My version -

--paperclip opened up 2 joints - 2 inches+-

--with paperclip, ream out the three valves which puncture the top of the K-cup (be careful - this tip is VERY sharp - check your aim) - if major resistance, you have probably missed the path and are hitting the gasket; the back valve is most difficult to reach accurately

--2 16-oz measuring cups - you can do this with coffee cups, but the measuring cups allow clearance for the funnel and filter; a coffee cup will not

--one funnel, large enough that it sits - mostly - outside the measuring cup mouth

--1 coffee filter, paper-clipped inside the funnel, funnel inside empty measuring cup, empty measuring cup placed to receive the hot liquid, just like a coffee cup; you will use the same single coffee filter repeatedly until cleaning is finished

--10 oz. white (distilled) vinegar; pour the vinegar into the reservoir ; you will repeatedly use this same vinegar throughout the cleaning; don't discard

--power up; open/close gate to load the vinegar

-- when the machine chokes or quits, hold down the BREW key until the machine gargles, indicating all fluid pushed thru - bottom measuring cup will now have 10 oz. vinegar

-- you should see some sediment in coffee filter.

-- move funnel/filter to empty measuring cup; place as a "new empty coffee cup"

-- ream the nozzle again

-- pour the vinegar; repeat steps starting at "power up"

--- at "repeat 10 times", suddenly flow improves; can run an entire cup without holding down the BREW key

-- keep reaming; keep repeating; and after 15-20 cycles, your machine flows like a new machine.

-- now - just as the flow starts, power the machine off and let it sit for 30 minutes; then finish the cycle; repeat

-- Ok, fresh water, several runs, until water does NOT taste like vinegar; and then run water twice more - each run with fresh clean water.

All done.

BTW - some of these observations indicate that a hose was dislodged. This probably occurred because the pressure of the system exceeded the hose clamp, and blew the line off the connection. You are out of luck here, until you actually figure out how to disassemble the machine; beyond the scope of this discussion. If you can manage to get the hose reattached, with a clamp, than follow this procedure to keep the pressure off the hose in the future.

Good luck.

0

Michael Butler
1

Thanks folks, used all your helpful suggestions. My issue seemed centered on the one way value underneath the top cover. Took it out and blew threw it a few times.

0

Kristy
1

I purchased my keurig at a yard sale for $5. I plugged it in and the power button would come on, but when I tried to brew to clean it, no water would pump. It was making noises like it wanted to work, but nothing happened and it would eventually turn off on its own. After searching on the internet, I started doing everything that other people had suggested. I turned it upside down, hit it, cleaned out all of the tubes, top and bottom and still nothing. I decided to jiggle the water tank while it was turned on and water starting feeding through the system and it lit up "Heating". I'm currently just running water through the machine to be sure any sediment is gone and it's running perfectly. SUPER happy I searched and found this. I was going to throw it away. THANKS!

0

brieolas
1

For those of you like me the clog wasn't the problem. I heard remedies like turn the machine upside down and smack it. But what seems to work perfect for me is to unplug the machine after every use and it resets all the internal crap and works perfect every time. Must be something wrong with a sticky valve or solenoid or something inside that unplugging resets. Hope that works for you.PS You must unplug first time for a few hours for it to reset itself

0

babc303
1

Do the following:

Drain fill tank, Remove charcoal filter pack, back wash fine mesh screen, run vinegar through system when doing this let the brew tank fill, make one cup then let the vinegar sit a few hours..last run plenty of clear water through brewer to remove the vinegar and any scale that the vinegar loosened,, put in a new charcoal filter (you can buy these at the store where you purchased your Kr.. last get a push pin (like you use to tack notes to a bulletin board).. prior to making a cup, use the push pin to make a small hole near the center of the K cup... this will relieve the pressure in the cup...do this for all K cups prior to using your K brewer will most likely never clog again... do the cleaning process about ever 6 months, but again.. use the push pin all the time...

Paul Battaiola

0

Kendrick
1

Glad I found this page!! I'd cleaned the cup holder before, taken it apart and paper-clipped it, but this time no success. It was putting out a bit of water and then finally stopped altogether. I took it apart and cleaned the upper valve, no help. I tried sucking through the flow tube, there was no flow at all. I removed the bottom plate (I didn't know what else to try) and cleaned the reservoir intake while I was there. I let it alone for a few hours, thinking ... and remembered comments about smacking it and another (YouTube I think) about the solenoid, so I pulled out a small hammer and tapped the ends of the solenoid a few times. Voila!!! I could suck in air/water, so I finished cleaning it and put it all back together and it works great again.

0

Susan Bowman
1

Thanks to all of you for such great help. Due to a move, I had my things in storage for about four months. Unpacked it and tried it tonight, it was a no-go. I researched and found this wonderful site! I tried the paper clip to no avail, then I saw both Mark and Cal's posts about the tube being dried out and a burst of air would push the water through. Well, I didn't have anything to push air hard enough to shoot water through the tube except my bike pump. It did the trick! I just positioned the end of the pump (w/o the needle) right over the water hole. Take the water tank off and you will see it. I pumped hard about three times and water came pouring out of the spot where the coffee comes out. Thanks to all of you!! Susan

0

fatthenfitnow39
1

Paperclip in the nozzle, went from trickle to full cup. Thank you.

0

lauren
1

Worked like a charm thanks

0

Ken
1

After having to hit the button 6 times to get a full cup of coffee (for the last 2 weeks!), here are my two cents worth..... get a small phillips screwdriver, a small flat screwdriver, wire snips, needle nose pliers, 10 small zip ties, some type of small wire poker. THIS EFFORT MAY CAUSE DAMAGE TO YOUR PLASTIC PIECES. Unplug and drain the water. Open the hatch and remove all the screws(4, I recall) holding the lever cover. Remove the cover. Then work very carefully to pry the top back cover from the machine. I was able to get the left side loose pretty easy. The right and back side clips actually broke off of my unit but didnt damage the fit. These were intended as "one way clips" with no option of repairability. I was not too worried about this damage and would rather deal with this than drop another hundred bucks on a new maker.

Flip the unit upside down and pull out the 5 screws holding the bottom on. Make sure not damage the 3 grounding wires attached to this plate. Locate the little pump motor and pull the 2 screws holding the motor. Use your needle nose pliers to squeeze and slide off the small hose clamp holding the accordion hose to the side of the pump motor. Flip the unit back over and clip the big zip tie holding the cluster of hoses below the plastic clip. You are trying to locate the bigger tube that runs down to the pump motor. Once located, clip the zip tie on the bigger tube and clip the similar zip tie on the pump motor and remove the length of tube and check valve. Take this whole thing to the sink and flush out the muck(water and vinegar). Use you wire poker to gently push into the check valve to ensure it is cleaned out and working. Blow into either end of this hose/check valve to make sure you can blow one way but not the other. If you can blow both ways, the valve needs more cleaning and poking.

You will also find a similar check valve under the hatch lever. Cut the zip ties at either end of this unit, remove it and do the same cleaning, flushing and actuating of this valve. The crud that came out of my check valves was pretty bad and was the cause of all my problems.

Reassemble everything you took apart. Make sure to get the zip ties back in place on all the tubes and get the hose clamp back on the accordion hose on the side of the pump. It is easier to feed the bigger tube up through the top of the unit before connecting it to the pump. Zip tie the cluster of tubes back under the black plastic clip. Snap the top back of the unit back in place if the tangs didnt break off and if they did, hold it on with clear tape to cover up the booger marks. Tuck the power cord back into the little horseshoe housing and reinstall the bottom cover with 5 screws.

This is a more advanced home appliance repair but only took me a little over an hour to accomplish. My unit is no longer aesthetically perfect but it made a full cup of coffee on the first and only hit of the button.

PS. I like the "industrial-mechanical" look and may just make a clear plastic cover to reinstall on the top of my maker.

0

Weebs
1

Every time I de-scale my brewer, it stops working and makes horrible noises. If I unplug it and plug it back in, it will give me one cup ok but won't ever give me another cup (it won't draw up water after the first cup is done and when I hit the button to make a 2nd cup, it makes these funny, very faint ghostly sounds but nothing happens and after 2-3 minutes it just stops trying to make the 2nd cup and clicks back to a ready state). In order to fix it, I used the tips and tricks in these comments... removed the filter at the bottom of the water tank and cleaned it, cleaned the needles on both top and inside the piece that holds the k-cups, and I turned the entire Keurig upside down in the sink, gave it a few whacks on the bum and shook it like I hooked it up to one of those old 70's fat burning machines. Works like a charm. Finished de-scaling it once it started giving me cups again and it works like its brand spanking new again. I've had mine for over 2 years now and I've done these steps at least 3-4 times since I bought it. Thank you to everyone here for all the great tips!

0

ashley
1

This blog was so helpful! Tried the paper clip thing and it still wasn't working. I turned it over and took out the screws on the bottom, all the hoses were connected and fine. Screwed the plate back in, thought it was a gonner, turned it upside right and voila, it works!

0

Esperanza Vega
1

I berly bought my keurig coffe maker and dosent brew it just make s a loud noise what should I do??

0

Bruce
1

Have a 3-4 y/o Keurig. Never really kept up with descaling schedule, just did it when it quit brewing or was short-cycling. Used the paper clip, checked screen under water tank, and still wasn't drawing up water. Made noises, blinked the blue light to say add water although the tank was full, display said "prime". Took off top cover, disconnected hoses and checked filter. Finally took off bottom plate and found tubing clogged solid with whitish gunk. Blew this out and flushed w/descaler, hooked all back up and it was obviously drawing water into the boiler(?) and pumping it out where the K-cup would be. Ran container of Keurig descaler and lots of fresh water after that and now works fine. Two things: 1) watch out for all the little screws. They are different sizes so don't force them if they seem to be too tight. 2) I spent 30 min with Keurig rep on phone trying to fix this sucker. Mine is way out of warranty but the rep sent me a 30% off coupon via email to purchase a new 450 model from their online store. So before I took the thing apart I went to the store, 30% seemed pretty good after all. Even after 30% off it was still well over $100 so I started reading reviews before I ordered. I was told I could use the huge stash of the "old" K cups in the new 450 but reviews say it is not easy. Also limited to Keurigs own K cups which have less variety it seems and higher prices than Green Mtn, for example. I did not verify this, but it was a common complaint. Read the reviews before you dump your "old" Keurig brewer. Follow the instructions of "Ken" and others above and you may get a few more years out of it. Oh yeah, look around drug stores, dollar stores etc for a little plastic refillable K cup gizmo. cheap and lets you load your own ground coffee if you want. MUCH easier than the DIY holder that comes with the machine.

0

Dave
1

I had trouble with the Keurig brewing short cups. It would lose its prime. I found that the model I was using had a very tight fitting lid on the water reservoir. When the Keurig tried to pump water from the reservoir a vacuum was created. The water leaving the reservoir needs to be replaced with something ... and that would be air. The pump was just not able to overcome the vacuum. It worked perfectly with the water reservoir cover removed. I wanted to use the cover so I simply drilled a small 1/8 inch hole in the cover near the back of the reservoir. This is all it took. The air coming through the hole is enough to prevent the vacuum from forming. It's been going strong for over a year.

0

David
1

I found the metal screen mesh in the bottom of the water reservoir was starting to plug up with lint after 2 years of use. It was impossible to see until I removed the 3 screws holding it down, and took it out. Washed it with water and it fixed the problem.

0

mark
13

To help avoid future need to unclog the spout, I have always pressed down on the kcup with my fingers after inserting it in the holder. What this does is it releases the vacuum downward. If you don't do that and close the lid, the coffee or whatever is in your kcup, shoots upward. Then when water hits it, some comes out but some will stay and clog it.

0

Bruce
1

Follow up to "Mark" Our cups seem to be under pressure, not vacuum, possibly due to altitude (over 5k ft). I push them down so the needle punctures the bottom, then repeat after turning the cup until there are 6-8 holes in the bottom. Also have better luck with the plastic k-cup you fill yourself. Before this my brand new machine was clogging and short cycling starting with the second cup!

0

vera
1

I can hear it trying to work, but the water goes back into the side tank with the water, Please help me.

0

larkin9496
1

Came downstairs this morning to make a cup of coffee. No coffee in my cup! I found this advice, reamed the nozzles with a paper clip, and it worked perfectly! I just wish that I didn't have to do it before having my first cup of coffee!

0

angie
1

Worked perfectly. Thanks so much. I haven't even had my coffee yet, but I feel like I've achieved something by fixing the Keurig!!

0

Jo
1

I had the same problem with my Keurig, and thanks to this blog - a combination of several remedies on this post helped including the paper clip and the canned air methods. After I couldn't figure out how to take the top off, I turned it upside down, shook it, then ran a few brews with vinegar and water while lifting up the handle several times just as the brew