1

Chandler Skinner

What is the adhesive under the battery?

I just wanted to know if I can use ifixit's thermal paste to glue the battery back down.

Edited by: Chandler Skinner ( )

2

Xile
889

Had a quick look via the parts link, I believe pastes like these:

Arctic Silver Thermal Paste

don't actually have any adhesive properties, they are more designed for processors etc

In most cases with the normal i4 I find the battery has previously been removed/replaced and not stuck down and it hasn't caused any issues.

Arctic Silver Thermal Paste

3.5 gram Arctic Silver thermal paste tube. Thermal paste forms a continuous, conductive layer between a processor and its heat sink, improving cooling performance and keeping your important chips from overheating. Whenever you remove a heat sink, it's ver — 50+ available at 8.95 each.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/476643... is about the only one I can find that looks like it would work, its aftermarket though.

Xile,

1

claudius2k
13

I repaired a phone and the old adhesive didn't bond well. I believe the client dropped the phone and the battery power connector strap ripped away from the battery, leaving the battery jiggling and destroyed.. The battery has weight, that adhesive is there for a reason.

0

Nick

it's really thin double sided tape

any sort of glue that is fairly strong, but is easy to remove again will do

i use thin 3m double sided tape personally and i feel it's good

this is what I use if the adhesive is not there well enough to hold strong or it's worn out like crazy

http://www.amazon.com/3M-665-Double-Side...

usually enough adhesive remains in the phone tough

Edited by: Nick ( )