The Toshiba Satellite L300 was a notebook designed and sold by Toshiba that came with a version of Windows Vista force fed. They were sold around May-June 2009 and while ineligible for the free 7 upgrade,time past and upgrades are unclaimable now,run 7 home premium well without upgrades mainly because of Vista's resource hog quality

Freezes whenever AC plugged in

The problem is, the notebook (toshiba satellite A300 1t2 model to be precise) freezes or restarts on ac power plug in but works fine on battery. It charges though when power is connected on shutdown/ when its powered on "may freeze when on or remains on for a little while before freezing or restarts). A very frustrating experience that has no end/limit. Any meaningful solution is greatly and urgently needed. It works fine in safemode whether ac is plugged in or not.

I did lots of checks and fixes i read.Like, disable processor, install standard vga drivers instead of the real drivers to see if its a display related issue and other fixes i read on other forums. Pls help if you have a better fix that works/ worked for you.

Bliss Matha, wondering if you could assist me with something to figure this out. Is there any chance you could download any of the programs that are available to measure the temperature. Something like the speedfan utils and post your temp on battery power and when you plug the AC adapter in?

Try this work around, until we can find a permanent fix. In SafeMode Go to control panel--> device manager---> go to processor----> disable one of the two processors --> reboot normally. Or you could try to disable your processor there. see if that will make a difference.

I've installed applications to check the heat and its always within low limits 55 to 60 degrees celcius. I've installed speedfan, battery care and other applications to manage system resources. i think there may have been a problem with power handling in normal mode or some unknown device conflict.

So there is no change when you plug the AC adapter in?

The reason why I am seriously inquiring about the temperatures is a bit odd. I really just wanted to see if it is similar to other Toshiba's, that have had the same problem in the past. Toshiba's of the M series have had trouble with a NEC/TOKIN OE128 Proadlizer Capacitor. It is a SMD capacitor and therefore difficult to fix for the DIY'er. The habitual behaviour was that the temperature would go up whenever the AC adapter was plugged in, causing the capacitor to fail. It should be located by the CPU, close vicinity anyways.

All answers are

Try this...Goto the "Plugged in Charging" icon at the bottom right hand of the screen...

Change the "Power Saver" plan and make it "High Performance"...

Your problem is solved... :-)

Pl. write to me if problem is solved or u need any further assistance in doing this step,

Check if your Laptop works in Safe Mode. If, yes then you have to replace NEC/TOKIN Proadlizer capacitor which is located at the bottom of the processor. But without replacing the problem can be fixed by one of the following ways -

1. In SafeMode Go to control panel--> device manager---> go to processor----> disable one of the two processors --> reboot normally. If not working disable both processors.

2. You Change the Power Saver to High Performance in Windows 7 or 8.1 and the problem fixed. Click start at left bottom of your computer. In the search box type Power. Click Power Options. Change Balanced to High Performance by ticking it.

3. If the problem persists, disable one of the two CPU cores in the BIOS setup . To enter Bios Restart computer and before it boots ckick F2 continously. If it doesnt work , again restart the computer and try with F8 , F10, Delete, F4 ,etc. You may have to initially disable one of the processor cores in BIOS to get the laptop to boot up past the Power-on self-test (POST).

4. Click Start. In the search box type 'services'. Click services. At the right hand side of the services box, click on power. Under the general category change ''Start up type' from Automatic to Disabled. Click apply -Ok. Restart your computer and the problem is fixed.

Dr Rajneesh

Good!!!! Thanks!!!!

Thank You Very Very Much,

I haven't been able to use my laptop plugged in ever since i got it for 5 dollars at a yard sale. I have wanted to use this as a stationary PC for so long now but haven't been able to plug it in THX!!!

you have to remove NEC-tokin capacitor which is located bottom of the processor toshiba notebook follow the link below for image of the capacitor. You have to become the member of site by creating the userid . i to have same problem i change capacitor with four 330 uf tantalum capacitor.

http://www.techenclave.com/topic/503953-...

I can confirm tht the problem is the nec tokin oe907 capacitor.

there is a guide how to replace the bad capacitor

Toshiba freezing and restarting

Thank you, I have the same problem with a Toshiba Satellite A200 PSAF0A-02L01C laptop. Problem fixed without replacing the faulty NEC/TOKIN Proadlizer Capacitor. If you want to replace the faulty capacitor a reference is here: http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Batteries-a... and http://www.laptoprepairblog.net/toshiba-...

Changed the Power Saver to High Performance in Windows 8.1 and problem fixed. In addition one of the two CPU cores may be disabled in the BIOS setup if having problems after changing the power mode. You may have to initially disable one of the processor cores in BIOS to get the laptop to boot up past the Power-on self-test (POST).

The laptop is always used on AC mains power as the battery has reached the end of it's life. Therefore being on the High Performance power setting is not a problem as extending battery life is not important.

BMS will be eternally grateful.