MacBook makes startup noise, but doesn't power on, battery charged

Hi, i'm having an issue with my macbook pro 17. I have fully charged the battery, yet there is no light in the back. The adapter displays a green light, tried with a few different ones, all indicate that my battery is charged..yet I can't see the light in the back at all..When I try to start it, it sounds like the harddrive is working but after a few seconds just stays making the same attempting noise to start up..Basically sounding like it's in the process, but it wont start...screen stays black the whole time..I don't know what could be wrong with it :( Please help

Do you hear the apple chime at startup or are you only hearing the hard drive spin up? Have you thought of hooking an external display up to the mbp?

by Ouroboros

Most Helpful Answer

Ouroboros is right that a little more information would help.

If it sounds like the hard drive is spinning up, then stoping, it's possible your HD is failing.

If you hear a startup chime and the screen stays black, connecting the computer to an external monitor will tell you whether or not the display is faulty.

A couple of things that are easy to try on a mac are to reset the SMC and PRAM. Most likely neither will fix the problem but sometimes they will.

You can reset the SMC by removing the battery and power from the laptop, then with no power hold the power button for about 30 seconds and release it. After doing that replace the battery try to turn it on.

Resetting PRAM is done by holding the P, R, command and option keys as the computer is turned on. Hold them until after the chime, if it gets that far.

Like I said most of the time these two solutions do not fix the problem but are quick and easy to try.

Thanks! I had the same problem on my MacBook Pro and resetting the PRAM worked like a charm.

by Jessica Beheler

My Macbook pro A1261 does not power up. It turns on the white power button, the hard drive spins not full on as it used to and the screen does not turn on nor the back apple is lit.

I checked and replace the PRAM battery and did not work. Would I need another hard drive or a logic board? also, how can I recover what I have in my hard drive?

If I connect my hard drive to another A1261 would it work?

PLEASE HELP!

ivankihara@live.com

Yes if you pulled your hard drive out and put into a enclosure and hooked it to another machine it should work so you can pull your data off.

by Justin

Thanks Justin. I'll put my hard drive to another A1261 to keep working with my stuff. Thanks again.

by IVAN

No problem :)

by Justin

I had the same problem as these two regarding the hard drive turning but the monitor refuses to boot on. I reset the PRAM(I got it to turn on once and reset the PRAM) and restarted the mac. This time when i turned it on the apple chime sound was present(for the first time) but the monitor still remained black. Any suggestions?

So I have the same macbook pro ,and I can hear the chime and the disk spinning and the key board lights up but still black screen what can it be any help would help thanks.

bo nita will be eternally grateful.