The original Xbox is Microsoft's first widely popular video gaming system. It has an easily identifiable black case with 'XBOX' emblazoned on the top and front. Repair is easy with common tools.

Why is my Xbox not reading game disks?

My Xbox has become very shakey when it comes to game disks lately. Some disks work, others don't, but the ones that do work stop working in the middle of a game. Is there any way I can fix this, or is the Xbox just very sensitive to tiny scratches?

My Xbox x won't respond to game discs or DVDs it gos straight to menu after closing tray. It worked perfectly up til now, I dont understand what could be wrong.....

Two suggestions, clean the disks and clean the optical lens on the disk drive.

Eliminate as many scratches and smudges on the disk itself, the little disk cleaning kits at BestBuy and RadioShack and what not actually do some decent work (at least in my experience) but obviously won't clean severe scratches.

Cleaning the optical lens is a little trickier. I would start with the first easy option, open up the CD tray w/o a cd in it and give the insides a good blast with compressed air. Have the Xbox upside down or the CD tray pointing down...anything to make sure the dust doesn't just resettle on your lens.

If that doesnt work, you may want to try digging deeper into the CD drive itself, but let's see if this works first! Let us know.

Works so much better now. Thanks!

My original xbox wont recognise the hobbit game but its in perfect condition!

I put The Hobbit game in the disc drive but it says that its unable to recognise disc!

My xbox was the first version, with the thompson drive in it. Every game works fine except for dead or alive. I tried the game in someone elses xbox and it works, so I know the cd itself is fine (looks brand new too).

I'm wondering if gamemakers who are developing on one of the newer version of original xbox used samsung/etc drives, but never the thompson drive. That's the only thing I can think of that would cause a problem.

My original first Xbox only reads DVD or cd does not read my games like phantom crash , or fifa soccer or 2003 baseball I have used cleaning cd and still get the doesn't recognize disc,any suggestions thank you......??

i cant solve the problem what suppose to do

My Xbox doesn't respond at all to games or DVDs it gos straight to menu after inserting disc???????

Roboboy64 will be eternally grateful.