The original Xbox is Microsoft's first widely popular video gaming system. It has an easily identifiable black case with 'XBOX' emblazoned on the top and front. Repair is easy with common tools.

Why is my Xbox not reading game disks?

My Xbox has become very shakey when it comes to game disks lately. Some disks work, others don't, but the ones that do work stop working in the middle of a game. Is there any way I can fix this, or is the Xbox just very sensitive to tiny scratches?

My Xbox x won't respond to game discs or DVDs it gos straight to menu after closing tray. It worked perfectly up til now, I dont understand what could be wrong.....

any game I put in my Xbox simply won't work at all I think I broke it

Two suggestions, clean the disks and clean the optical lens on the disk drive.

Eliminate as many scratches and smudges on the disk itself, the little disk cleaning kits at BestBuy and RadioShack and what not actually do some decent work (at least in my experience) but obviously won't clean severe scratches.

Cleaning the optical lens is a little trickier. I would start with the first easy option, open up the CD tray w/o a cd in it and give the insides a good blast with compressed air. Have the Xbox upside down or the CD tray pointing down...anything to make sure the dust doesn't just resettle on your lens.

If that doesnt work, you may want to try digging deeper into the CD drive itself, but let's see if this works first! Let us know.

Works so much better now. Thanks!

My original xbox wont recognise the hobbit game but its in perfect condition!

I put The Hobbit game in the disc drive but it says that its unable to recognise disc!

My xbox was the first version, with the thompson drive in it. Every game works fine except for dead or alive. I tried the game in someone elses xbox and it works, so I know the cd itself is fine (looks brand new too).

I'm wondering if gamemakers who are developing on one of the newer version of original xbox used samsung/etc drives, but never the thompson drive. That's the only thing I can think of that would cause a problem.

My original first Xbox only reads DVD or cd does not read my games like phantom crash , or fifa soccer or 2003 baseball I have used cleaning cd and still get the doesn't recognize disc,any suggestions thank you......??

i cant solve the problem what suppose to do

My Xbox doesn't respond at all to games or DVDs it gos straight to menu after inserting disc???????

My Xbox door will open only if disc inside, if no disc it will fail to open unless I bang my finger against it as it nudges open after many tries (so I keep a disc in there all times). Phillip Takahashi my Xbox doing same thing. Will freeze in game very quickly. I sprayed compressed air before was good. Maybe I need new bottle or (you mentioned going deeper into the drive) explain. Should I open up my Xbox and take a look? When I sprayed last time bottle was new so more air power. I finished off same bottle so maybe not as much air power. Game starts usually but will freeze within 3 minutes or less, the odd time more but will freeze within 2 min. No red ring (had red ring before I bought the first bottle). Sometimes message shows up about "reading the disc", other times just frozen or won't proceed. When turning off you hear light rumbling or spinning in the system. Like old motor. Or freezes stops during screen changes or movement.

I may just look for another original Xbox or sthg if around still

the opening issue is the little rubber band on the motor and drive tray gear. Get the disc tray open and unplug the console without powering down. use tweezers to pull the black rubber band off under the disc tray. clean the band and blow the inside of the drive out to remove dirt, dust, etc and put the band back on (can be tricky but doable). plug in xbox again and power on. should be good again. if not replace the rubber band and it'll be good.

Cannot get the old school xbox, the original Xbox, to read any discs, no games, audio, or DVD. Wtf can I do apart from smashing this mofo??!!!!

My original Xbox works fine with certain games but will freeze on other ones and say that they are broken.I tested all of them on my 360 and they work fine.

Actually I got it working after repeated tries. I opened it up and just copied YouTube and cleaned it out put it back together. But I believe the issue still is the age and condition and disc drive goes bad performing which applies to reading it live as it plays. Any little hiccup and it'll freeze or go black. So I save my level when I can but I may take it to GAMES store Oshawa to repair it one day when tech is in they may have spare parts or replacement disc drive (you always keep your part like at computer store) just in case. Keep your hard drive save file etc. Which is built in but you can sub it out or actually copy it to computer maybe if u that techie

Roboboy64 will be eternally grateful.