PTO engages intermittently - Craftsman Zero Turn

Good Morning,

I have a 2012 Craftsman ZTL7000 zero turn mower. I just recently bought it and did the first cut today. Everything was going well, until I went from reverse (PTO disengaged) to forward and the PTO didn’t engage again.

I was able to get it to re-engage to finish the job, but I had to dis-engage and engage it multiple times for it to finally engage. I also went from reverse to forward multiple times as I thought it might be related to a reverse safety switch.

What’s the best way to diagnose this issue? It doesn’t seem like it’s the PTO switch. When I pull the switch to engage and it doesn’t turn on, I can hear it trying to engage.

Thank you for your time and help!

Grounds were okay.

I decided to check the safety switches. The reverse safety switch ended up being bad. I bypassed it with a wire to close the connection and the PTO engaged.

I hope this helps someone with PTO issues in the future! Feel free to message me with any questions.

Check for damaged wires or connections to the PTO clutch.

Check the switch.

I got around to looking into this because the PTO stopped working altogether.

I tested resistance and continuity on the switch when open and closed. Continuity was good. Ohms were about 0.3-0.5.

I tested the clutch by hard wiring to the battery and it engaged, so I don’t believe it’s the clutch.

I then checked the volts in the wire harness where it connects to the clutch and it was reading 0 volts. I thought it was safe to assume it was the switch since it should be 12v. I received the switch today, and still nothing.

My next thought is to check the grounds or any other wires that could be damaged. It just puzzles me that it was partially working a couple weeks ago and now it doesn’t work at all. Any other ideas?

Thank you!

Matt Schweizer will be eternally grateful.