What is the USB port power output?
How many watts do the usb-c ports output?
Is this a good question?
Apples spec page for the MacBook Air (M1, 2020) Systems specs Which does not list the USB-C USB4 output power!
Sadly the standards are not cut and dry as it depends on what the two devices agree to per the Release 2.0 - USB Type-C Cable and August 2019 Connector Specification:
Three current level advertisements at 5V VBUS are defined by USB Type-C Current:
• Default is the as-configured for high-power operation current value as defined by a USB Specification (500 mA for USB 2.0 ports; 900 mA or 1,500 mA for USB 3.2 ports operating in single-lane or dual-lane, respectively)
• USB Type-C Current @ 1.5 A
• USB Type-C Current @ 3.0 A
There is a clear functional distinction between advertising Default versus the USB Type-C Current at either 1.5 A or 3.0 A.
• Default is intended for host operation in providing bus power to a connected device where the host manages the device’s current consumption for the low-power, high- power and suspend states as defined in the USB base specifications.
• USB Type-C Current at either 1.5 A or 3.0 A is primarily intended for charging applications. The Sink can vary its current draw up to the advertised limit. Offering USB Type-C Current at either 1.5 A or 3.0 A is allowed for a host providing bus power to a device. The host needs to assume that the device will continuously draw up to the offered limit.
Here’s a bit more on USB-C & USB4
Was this answer helpful?
Past 24 Hours: 11
Past 7 Days: 62
Past 30 Days: 356
All Time: 5,203