Second generation of iPhone. Model A1241 / 8 or 16 GB capacity / black or white plastic back. Repair is more straightforward than the first iPhone. requires screwdrivers, prying, and suction tools.

iPhone 3G on Verizon Network

How can I use my iPhone 3G on Verizon network?

AT&T really has horrible service!

Score -3

You're right, AT&T has horrible coverage. No, you cannot at this point use it on Verizon, a CDMA technology network (iPhone is GSM). It was almost enough to make me give up on iPhone, but in the end I couldn't do it.

Depending upon your area, other GSM networks might be a solution for you if you are willing to jailbreak and unlock your iPhone. T-Mobile in the US was good when I used it; there are others in Canada and elsewhere.

You can, however use it on other GSM networks by jailbreaking the device, and running ultrasn0w, that will allow it to work on other GSM networks, but the process is kind of a pain, and really makes apple mad.

No. While Verizon is transitioning to GSM and retiring CDMA as they go, they still rely on CDMA for voice on many older phones. Early phones use the SIM for global data and CDMA for domestic use, but the 4G LTE phones are 1009% GSM. Yours is older, so it would be partially CDMA dependent (which the GSM phone does not support).

Along with technological issues, you also have issues on the back end. Verizon only allows certain IMEI/ESN ranges on their network, since they started on CDMA and these phones were hardcoded to each carrier unless you have the MSL to change the programming; carriers rarely give it away. Your phone isn't going to be in this approved range. You will need a Verizon certified phone because of this.

Unlocking a CDMA phone (and Verizon 3G phones) is mostly pointless due to technological problems. It sucks, but that's the downside to the older phones.

I am now considering a Motorola Droid as an option since I am on Verizon and have a couple of upgrades due. Any comments on the Droid as an alternative to the Iphone?

Android as a platform is much better than the iPhone OS will ever be, a comment would be make sure you check the plethora of android devices available to find the one that is right for you, at current verizon only offers two subsidized phones, the droid and droid eris (htc phones IMHO are also the best) however there are several unsubsidized+unlocked phones on the market, and more to come. You may want to wait for the supposed Nexus One too. For good android information check phandroid.com

I prefer LG's phones and the LG GW620 (EVE) is rumored to be offered by Verizon sometime in the first quarter of 2010. It looks to be the one I would like to have. That is unless Palm comes up with an android Treo...maybe the "Treandro"!

The LG EVE looks to me like a cheap knockoff of the Cliq, and additionally attempting to masquerade as those nice, sleek, htc devices. I agree with you that phones need to look nice, the Droid is anything but sleek, but the Droid Eris is very attractive.

For the record I will also suggest T-Mobile, they have the best prices, the fastest network (both in the US and worldwide) and great coverage. They also have a plethora of android phones, and seem to be getting the Nexus One (HTC Passion).

99% of the people I know are on Verizon on all coasts and nearly 40 states.

I have an LG Voyager and I love the keyboard on it...much better tha my wife's Iphone! As for speed I personally think that her Iphone is as slow as molasses! And she constantly complains about calls being dropped!

The keyboards on the HTC and Motorola android phones are lousy and very hard to switch to after using the LG keyboard on the Voyager.

So I think that I will wait for LG's offerings such as the GW620(Eve).

Att offers 2 galaxy sII phones. The Galaxy sII does not offer LTE while the Galaxy sII Skyrocket does. The Skyrocket also has a larger screen (4.5" vs 4.3").I have the galaxy S II, not the skyrocket, it has 4g and Ice Cream as Os. It works and it is fast.

Regards,

Unlock Blackberry 9800

Yes, but mifi will not allow conventional cellphone calls.

Score -1

This should be a comment to the above Answer.

You need to unlock your device to access other carriers. Currently this requires baseband(known as modem in the settings->about tab) 05.11.07 which came with firmware 3.1.2. In approximately a week with iPhone OS4 comes out, there should be an unlock solution for the newer 3.x models also. To obtain this Google the iPhone-Dev Team blog as I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links here.

Hope I helped!

Score -1

Except Verizon uses CDMA and AT&T uses GSM, there'd need to be different versions of the phone with CDMA versus GSM antennas.

strohmoose will be eternally grateful.