Complete how to and replacement guides for the original iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, and iPhone 7 Plus.

Why can't I get my phone or mail app to open?

I had my iphone plugged into my MacBook Pro to sync with itunes but then it asked me to update to the newest version of iTunes.

I did update and downloaded the new version, however my iphone stayed plugged in.

When I re-started my Mac I then unplugged the iphone and it was unable to access any of the data from the Phone tab or Mail or even Settings.

I can get Message from im, and I can access the iPod app.

No sure if I should try to unscrew the phone and take out the battery like I used to do on my old Blackberry...

Help!

Have you updated to iOS5 as well as have iTunes 10.5? You will need both versions of equivalent firmware on both your Mac O/S and iOS in order for your iPhone to work properly.

When it comes to ANY firmware related issue, the first step is to update/restore. Make sure you have upgraded to iOS5. Don't worry about losing any data because it is all backed up before the update, however i am 99% sure that this will fix your problem :)

Mary OConnor will be eternally grateful.