Fourth generation iPhone. Repair is straightforward, but the front glass and LCD must be replaced as a unit. GSM / 8, 16, or 32 GB capacity / Model A1332 / Black and White.

question about emi shield removal

i looked everywhere but cannot find an answer to what happens to performance, etc if you remove the emi shields.

Behind the very top screw of the emi shield is a small metal jumper/pin that creates a connection between the motherboard, screw and subsequently the casing - which increases WiFi antenna size.

Removing this jumper/pin has the knock-on effect of reducing wifi range to about 2 metres - i.e. you need to be 2 metres from a WiFi access point to see it.

Pictures (posted by another user on here) can be found at: http://s1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc51...

To my knowledge, as long as this screw/jumper are in place then there are no other performance downsides to removing the shield - though health reasons, I am not so sure :)

Source: Based on my experience of using my iPhone 4 for about 6 months without the emi shield, when this was the only problem I encountered. Was v annoying though so I have since replaced the parts.

Can you buy that pin that Rob was talking about because I lost mine when I replaced my LCD.

hhelman7 will be eternally grateful.