iPod touch won't boot & broken home button.

I have a broken Home button and some software glitch — when I power on my iPod it shows Apple logo and shuts down. What I need to do is reinstall firmware in DFU or Recovery mode, but how to enter it without Home button? I've found some instructions, but they assuming, that you have already powered iPod.

Tell me about the button. Does it just not work or is it physically broken?

I think, it's physically broken (button, not logic board or flex cable, because it charged and functioned fine (I used SBSettings instead) and button doesn't click).

1) Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.) It's the little switch on top on your iPod.

2) Press and hold the Menu and Select buttons until the Apple logo appears, about 30 to 40 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.

So, nothing I can do about it? Is it hard to replace home button? Where can I find it?

@mayer, the first gen iPod (and none of them for that matter lol) have a Hold switch.

This happened to me too...i am 14 and fixed this problem by myself a few months ago.

So first, you plug in the iPod and let it charge for about 10 mins or so...until it like starts to show the Apple logo repeatedly.

Then as its booting, HOLD DOWN the Home button, for approximately 10-20 seconds (sometimes you need to hold down Home and Power for 10 seconds, the the Home button for 10 seconds). Either way, you will get a PLUG INTO ITUNES screen, which is like an arrow pointing to the iTunes logo.

Then plug the iPOd into a computer with iTunes installed.

The computer itself will recognize an iPod (i did this on Windows)

and iTunes will display a msg that says "iTunes has detected an iPod in recovery mode blah blah blah." Continue iTunes' steps to reinstall the latest iOS and reupload/restore data onto the iPod...

As expected this will erase all previous data lol

Evgeniuz will be eternally grateful.