0

Score

Avatar
Alen
1

Asked

iPhone 3GS won't charge?

History

Recently I have charged my Iphone 3Gs together with an external battery. Wall charger was plugged into external battery, and external battery was plugged into iPhone. After 3 hours I found an dead iPhone. Wont start, wont charge, just dead. I have ordered another battery form eBay, and when I replaced it phone turned on and everything was OK. But it still wont charge. After I plugged the wall charger phone immediately turned off. I was able to turn it on again holding home and on buttons together. When battery ran out it was dead again. Tried another charger, and usb port on computer but nothing happened. Only thing that happens when it is connected to a charger is a faint buzzing sound that I can only hear when I put my ear on the phone. I have ordered new dock connector but I don't expect that to solve my problem. Any similar experiences or helpful suggestions??? :)

Edited by: oldturkey03 ( )

Add Comment Cancel

Post Answer

3

Score

Avatar
pollytintop
67.2k

Answered

Accepted Answer

PermalinkHistory

I'd be thinking of changing the dock assembly..It is the first point of connection, it is more likely that a fuse has blown on or nearby to that. The buzzing may be the speakers housed in the dock getting whatever charge being redirected to them?? I don't know the technical bit of that but it kind of makes sense that if you plug a power source in and a path is blocked (blown fuse) then it will take the path of least resistance....hence the speaker buzz. Do that and re evaluate..they only cost £7 here so it's a cheap fix. I am not a fan of piggy backing charger/battery...probably because I read so many problems on here related to them. Most are solved by a new dock.iPhone 3GS Dock Connector Replacement please remember to power off (hold power until prompted to slide to power off) we don't want you back on here saying "no backlight"

Edited by: pollytintop ( )

Thank you for your replies, I have already ordered dock assembly 2 days ago. But now I am not so sure that will be a solution. I have just finished some "experimenting" and I have some new updates. I took an ordinary USB cable and cut the connector on one end. Plugged the other side into wall charger and connected red wire on +, and black wire on - connector on the battery. Left it for an hour and fitted the battery back in the phone. Phone turned on and it showed 80% of charge. When I connect it to PC iTunes recognize it and phone shows charging sign but it does not charge. I drains the battery relatively fast (with cable plugged in or not). Phone restarted twice while it was connected to PC, and if I connect it to a wall charger it turns off after 2-3 sec. It gets very warm (around the middle of logic board) even if is not connected to a charger, but when it is unplugged it does not turn off just drains the battery fast (it could be calibration issue, as it was charged out of a phone and not for a very long time so maybe phone was showing it was charged more than it actually was). I was able to use the phone for an hour and a half while testing how will it react if I play some music, use wi-fi, play some games etc. In conclusion I think that something on the logic board has shorted out and that this will not be an easy or cheap fix :)

Alen,

Just one more thing I have noticed. Phone is overheating, and battery is discharging even when phone is turned off!

Alen,

Wouldn't recommend your diy battery charger as anywhere near safe.. Mains electricity..240 volts/220 volts, Bare hands? You can shock your heart get a nice arrhythmia and a cardiac arrest! Far safer with a 9v battery and 2wires.

pollytintop,

Well it is not really too much diy, I have just plugged usb cable into regular iphone wall charger instead of sync cable. Output is 5V, 1A, and I don't charge the battery for a long time. And I also have some education and experience as electrician ;)

Alen,

I had visions of you plugging this in to the mains... some people would ;-) Glad you've some experience, you may need it for the soldering you might do! It sounds like the power management ic..it's location is about where you say is getting hot. Simran has put a link to how to swap this chip using a heat gun/hot air soldering gun. I will find it for you.

pollytintop,

Show 11 more comments

Add Comment Cancel

3

Score

Avatar
Phillip Takahashi
41.3k

Answered

PermalinkHistory

In my experience, Buzzing in electronics means there's a short somewhere...does the phone also get warm or hot while charging?

Check all your connections to be sure that nothing is contacting something it shouldn't be. It sounds like you have a bit of a custom job here, did you solder onto the battery tabs of the logic board/anywhere else in the phone? If you did, make sure those solder points are protected from contacting other parts of the phone.

I have to ask, why are you charging an external battery? Is it being used in lieu of the internal battery? Is it the same capacity and voltage as the internal battery? If you're using the external battery as a primary and singular power source, you may have stressed and damaged the charging system if the battery is not VERY similar to the stock battery. Are you using the battery as a supplement to the internal battery? If you did, again you have to have a very similar battery to the internal one AND you have the additional challenge of needing it to be wired right. If you wired the batteries in series you are over-volting your phone. You need to be wired in parallel for this case to work...but again you run the risk of really stressing the charging system.

I have charged both batteries at once because I was going on a trip, and I needed some additional power. There was no soldering involved. It is normal external battery for iPhone, I have used it many times without any problem. This is the one I have used: http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/iphone-3gs-3g... On one side there is connector that goes in phone, and on the other you plug your wall charger. Only time when I noticed that my phone is warm is when I have connected wall charger to a phone after I have replaced the battery. As I have said before, it turned off my phone, an it was getting warm. I have disconnected charger, turned the phone on, and after the battery was drained completely it was same as it was with an old battery. No charging when on wall charger, the phone does not get warm, only very, very quiet buzzing.

Alen,

Add Comment Cancel

1

Score

Avatar
John
13

Answered

PermalinkHistory

One answer I have not seen and definitely was my problem was the memory was full.

I took a bunch of pictures at a party. After leaving I noticed my home button was no longer working, and when I plugged the phone in to charge I would not get a charging icon on the phone and the phone would keep turning itself off. But it DID charge, it just took forever.

About a week later just using the phone without the home button. It worked on everything I just had to turn the phone all the way off to get out of any app..

Well, I went to take another picture and it finally said that it couldnt as it was out of memory for more pics, so I deleted a bunch. INSTANTLY my home button started working again and charging was normal.

Hope this helps someone as frustrated as I was. I saw NO ERRORS about memory being low until I tried to take another picture.

Add Comment Cancel

0

Score

Avatar
kalylewilliams
1

Answered

PermalinkHistory

take you iPhone off the charger...

hold the home button and the sleep button until apple logo pops up...

plug in computer right away so it doesn't die again :)

kalylewilliams said : take you iPhone off the charger... hold the home button and the sleep button until apple logo pops up... plug in computer right away so it doesn't die again :) THANKS kalylewilliams. IT WORKED !!!!!!!

nmbal,

Add Comment Cancel

0

Score

Avatar
lee
1

Answered

PermalinkHistory

if your phone is faulty and wont charge or even power on its now a comon fault and is your power control ic,! any mobile phone repair shop can replace its not a easy task nomally happens with crappy cheap copy chargers that give out more than spec voltage/ amps can cause serious dammage to ic's it also maybe logic need reflowing but very few cases of that have been heard of,,!

http://www.tvc-mall.com/details/Power-IC...

you will need to get it replaced by rep company dont just let anyone do it,! it may cost you 50£ to get replaced maybe more,! if your phone is insured i would just take it direct to apple.or claim off your insurance,

Add Comment Cancel

Add Your Answer

View Statistics:

Today: 9

This Week: 23

This Month: 152

All Time: 38,330