Released in North America in November 2006.

Wii making loud grinding sound and ejects disc

I have an old Wii (at least 12 years old) that I’ve occasionally had the same problem with. Strangely, it happened several months ago but not a couple months after that, and it had no problems yesterday but had this problem today.

When I insert a disc, it makes a very loud grinding sound and then ejects the disc after a few seconds. It then pulls the disc back in, makes the same loud grinding sound, and then ejects it again. There are NO error messages and this happens with all discs.

I’m guessing this is just a hardware issue regarding the disc drive, or maybe there’s stuff stuck in there. Does anyone know what I should be looking for if I end up taking it apart? Or should I just try to replace the disc drive? I have no experience with tech repair but I know there are some pretty good guides.

Alternatively, does anyone know if there are places that still repair Nintendo Wii?

SKIP THE UPGRADE

Save by fixing with an all-in-one kit.

Shop iPhone Fix Kits

SKIP THE UPGRADE

Save by fixing with an all-in-one kit.

Shop iPhone Fix Kits

Maybe if you have a little baby sister, she would have the audacity to shove some cookie crumbs. Otherwise, it could be something bending out of place like a pin or something sooooo yeah good luck

Hi Caroline,

Did many Wii’s and still repairing it. This sounds like a bad Inject/Eject motor and it is replaceable. I’ll make a guide if I get another Wii which is having this kind of issue.

Part (and guide): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ioVJ3XJ...

You need to desolder/solder 2 cables.

Replacing the whole drive, will fix the issue! But is more expensive to do so. I always refurbish the drives and put it back together.

Side note: Check the condition of the gears and the rubber too.

Caroline will be eternally grateful.