Released in North America in November 2006.

Wii making loud grinding sound and ejects disc

I have an old Wii (at least 12 years old) that I’ve occasionally had the same problem with. Strangely, it happened several months ago but not a couple months after that, and it had no problems yesterday but had this problem today.

When I insert a disc, it makes a very loud grinding sound and then ejects the disc after a few seconds. It then pulls the disc back in, makes the same loud grinding sound, and then ejects it again. There are NO error messages and this happens with all discs.

I’m guessing this is just a hardware issue regarding the disc drive, or maybe there’s stuff stuck in there. Does anyone know what I should be looking for if I end up taking it apart? Or should I just try to replace the disc drive? I have no experience with tech repair but I know there are some pretty good guides.

Alternatively, does anyone know if there are places that still repair Nintendo Wii?

Maybe if you have a little baby sister, she would have the audacity to shove some cookie crumbs. Otherwise, it could be something bending out of place like a pin or something sooooo yeah good luck

Hi Caroline,

Did many Wii’s and still repairing it. This sounds like a bad Inject/Eject motor and it is replaceable. I’ll make a guide if I get another Wii which is having this kind of issue.

Part (and guide): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ioVJ3XJ...

You need to desolder/solder 2 cables.

Replacing the whole drive, will fix the issue! But is more expensive to do so. I always refurbish the drives and put it back together.

Side note: Check the condition of the gears and the rubber too.

I have this same problem, I’ve found that if I slap it vigorously it eventually just accepts the disk. However I’d rather not beat the crap out of my wii every time I want to play a game, so I opened it up to see if I can fix the problem and I have figured that there is an issue with the motor that spins the disk. I know this post was from last year, and you’ve probably already resolved this issue in one way or another, but if you have any advice I would love to hear it. Thanks.

it is pulling it in and ejecting it, so the drive that does that works fine.

Once it gets in, another motor starts to turn the disk. If there is something in there stopping the turning it won’t sense the disk and it will eject it.

So, a disassembly is in your future to determine why the disc is not spinning up.

Caroline will be eternally grateful.