iPhone 3G

Second generation of iPhone. Model A1241 / 8 or 16 GB capacity / black or white plastic back. Repair is more straightforward than the first iPhone. requires screwdrivers, prying, and suction tools.

water damage - works but screen is dim (can barely see everything)

Left iphone 3 out on deck during a rain - put it in rice for a couple of days and it finally turned back on and everything works but the screen is dim - Should we try to replace the screen or is there something else we should do first?

I'd take a look at this first. you may find that a thorough clean and your LCD works again (probably not but it's worth saving the rest of your phone from worse damage over time)

Mentioned Items

iPhone Image

Guide

Repairing iPhone Liquid Damage

by pollytintop Difficulty: Difficultone or two hours

Beat me to it by two seconds--have to learn to type faster.;) +

by rj713

soz, that's what happens when you get 3 years of typing lessons and a nutter for a teacher!

by pollytintop

Your back-light is out which might be fixed by replacing the LCD. It could also be related to the logic board which in that case, you're better off getting a new phone. I would start with trying to replace the LCD.

iPhone 3G Display

Megan will be eternally grateful.