Apple's fifth-generation smartwatch, with optional cellular connectivity, released September 20, 2019.

Display without digitizer stays black

I recently bought a series 5 with broken display glass. I was able to separate the broken glass and digitizer from the display succesfully.

At first I thought the display was broken after the separation since it stayed black. But at some point the battery died and suddenly the display showed the following image:

After charging for a while, the watch turned on and went into black screen again and stayed black.

I am currently waiting for the replacement digitizer to arrive, but I assume the series 5 is showing a black screen, when no digitizer is connected.

Can anyone confirm this behaviour?

Did you ever figure this out?

I have a friend who has a series 5 that works fine, but the screen has two scratches.

How hard was it to separate the digitizer from the LCD?

If this is happening, there is either something stuck in the screen connector, the LCD cables are damaged, or one of the pins on the screen is bent out of place.

My Apple Watch 5 was working fine. I took it off to take a bath and when I went to put it on my arm the display was black and showed the time only. I shows a red low battery but it was fully charged before. Any suggestions?

franqus will be eternally grateful.