1

Score

Avatar
ffilling
13

Asked

Not turning on after chargng, turns hot though.

History

Hi

I connected my Ipod 2nd Gen 8GB for charging and left it connected to the laptop for 3-4 hours. It was charging fine, but when i went to unplug it, it was hot on the back side and wouldn't turn on.

I tried resetting it but no go.

I connected via usb and tried a reset, no go.

I tried electric adapter (wall connector) then reset it but no go.

Now when i connect it to the electric adapter the back side does get hot (right behind the wheel).

Is the battery fried ?

How can i verify that ? (i can manage a little bit if electronic repair & i have a soldering iron too).

Thanks in advance for your response.

Edited by: osvaldo, rj713, machead3, mayer, and Phillip Takahashi ( )

Add Comment Cancel

Post Answer

2

Score

Avatar
Bob Somers
355

Answered

Accepted Answer

PermalinkHistory

It's quite possible that it could indeed be the battery. According to our teardown the battery is located directly behind the click wheel.

I had a similar incident happen to me with a rechargeable battery for my mouse. The lithium ion pack got really hot and swelled up a bit. Does your iPod look swollen on the back at all?

The good news is that it's relatively inexpensive to replace the battery for that model. It looks like we have some extra batteries in stock and we've got a guide for replacing the battery. It's not for the faint of heart (you need to do some soldering), but you sound like you can handle it.

Good luck!

Product Image

iPod Nano Gen 2 Replacement Battery

400 mAh / Installation requires soldering — 1 available at 13.95 each.

Add Comment Cancel

Add Your Answer

View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 1

Past 7 Days: 4

Past 30 Days: 20

All Time: 2,258