iPhone 4

Fourth generation iPhone. Repair is straightforward, but the front glass and LCD must be replaced as a unit. GSM / 8, 16, or 32 GB capacity / Model A1332 / Black and White.

Why do headphones work, but not inline mic and controls?

Headphones work great, no issues. The in-line mic and volume/skip buttons do not respond at all. When a call comes in when I have headphones w/ mic in, it comes through the headphone but I must speak into the mic on the phone.

I understand there's a contact in the headphone jack that the phone registers when you plug a supported headset in...as far as I can tell, this is not obstructed by lint or anything.

I've tried several different pairs of headphones...the stock iPhone 4 don't work, I tried my friend's stock iPhone 4 headphones, and a 2 different 3rd party pairs...I've ruled out the headphones as the issue.

I replaced the Headphone Jack & Volume Control Cable. This was no easy task, so I was very happy to have everything turn back on and work perfectly, but terribly frustrated when the inline mic and controls still does not work.

What else can I possibly try?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Steve

Most Helpful Answer

Is this iPhone under warranty still? Then I would think Apple should repair it for free. Any way I would try to call Apple Suppport.

AppleCare expired in June. Also, taking the phone apart to replace the headphone jack requires to remove the warranty sticker on the screw holding the logic board in place; at this point warranty repair is not an option.

by stmyers

This seems strange when you have replace volume/headphone cable. Did you try to restore the phones software in iTunes now after the cable change? You did not mention if you had removed the dock connector when replacing the cable but you write that the internal mic works fine. I would try reinstalling. I did this on a iPhone 3GS with unresponsive click on the original headphone and a software restore fixed the click. I have also read that resetting network settings helped a couple of times. Take a look at this thread, (as I understand it is the mic on the headphones that do not work): https://discussions.apple.com/message/11... I know you are out of warranty but if none of this helps I would give ask Apple anyway. This seems to be a bug. I am glad we have a strong consumer law in Norway as Apple would have to fix this kind of problem up to 5 years after purchase (even without AppleCare).

by asle

Try rebooting the phone (full power cycle) and see if the headphones inline controls function returns.

Get a toothpick or something pointy and clear out the lint wedged into the headphone jack socket. Worked for me!

Are you trying to work your head phone with iPhone or Android phone? If it is Android phone it won't work with iPhone headphone. It is described here:

Apple Headphone is Not Working On Android or Windows Phone

my fix for sound problem w headsets

(note only problem was with headset)

settings

music

volume limit > (tap on this)

moved control from left to right

Fixed!!!

NOTE:

it was set at 0 all the way to left showing a grayed line; moving to right will show a blue line,

(also note! grayed word OFF, to the right of Volume Limit words, keeps there rather Vol limit "up" or "down" L or R)

stmyers will be eternally grateful.