0

Adam Hintz

Tip of headphone jack stuck inside port

Hello all,

Yesterday, the very tip (just the bulb-like part on the very end) came off a headphone jack while it was inside the port. This means that I don't hear any sound (save the startup chime) because my computer thinks something is plugged in.

I googled the situation and found several solutions:

1. Stick superglue on the end of a paperclip and touch it to the stuck piece. I tried this a few times, but the glue didn't hold, probably because there's not enough contact area to pull with enough force.
  2. Surround the piece with a straw and fill the straw with superglue. Fortunately, I had the sense to try this with a cable that I didn't need, and it didn't work. The glue seeped into the jack, and would have ruined my computer had I tried it there first.
  3. Drill into the tip and pull it out with a metal screw. I haven't tried this yet, due to the fact that I could mess up and make a hole in my logic board.

Something else that I came up with, that I have yet to attempt, is to remove the logic board (something iFixit doesn't have complete instructions for?) and remove the plastic sheath that covers all but the metal contacts in the jack. However, I have no suction cups and am moving in less than a week, so doing any sort of 'surgery' is out of the question for now.

Any ideas for how to get this pesky problem solved?

EDIT: I would also like to know if anybody's taken out the motherboard and how hard that would be... I'd rather not use the drill, but I might not have an option...

Edited by: Walter Galan ( ) , Adam Hintz ( ) , Majesty, ABCellars, and rj713 ( )

5

ABCellars

I believe everything you have mentioned is viable. It Just comes down to preference. Please see this post for some more help.

Thanks for the help... do you know if it's possible to remove the logic board on this generation iMac?

Adam Hintz,

Yes the logic board can be remove from this model of iMac. The gist of your instructions to do so are here: http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac-Inte...

ABCellars,

2

Lennart Kirchner
25

The best (an especially glueless) way to do it is actually quite simple and doesn't require any fancy tools. You just get a straw, just a normal plastic drinking straw, and cut in it so it can fit your jack. Then you just push it in the jack so it slides around the broken piece of the plug. Then you turn your device so that the jack is facing the floor, and the plug should slip out. If it doesn't, remove the staw slowly with the jack facing the floor and then take a pair of tweezers and grab the part that has already slipped out and pull it out carefully.It's cheap and fast and worked for me... I unfortunately lost my gold-plating on the jack but I think it's nothing glue can't fix.

This answer was originally to another question.

+ very nice idea :-)

2

Tommy Garbarz
25

My ear bud jack was stuck in the female jack of my iMac. I read all kinds of solutions with glue a straw or drilling. All of which imposed a risk of further damage.

Here is what I did and the tools I used.

RS-232 pin straightener (for us old analog guys)

iFixit Probe and Pick Set

iFixit Flat Needle Nose Pliers

I covered the display and unibody with a heavy towel for protection and Unplugged power

Used pin straightened tool to free the edges of the headphone male jack from the female internal jack

Used the smallest probe to pull the stuck piece forward

Used the needle nose pliers to grab the jack and remove it

Success without any damage to my oh so addicting iMac 27"

As always I used this site to get ideas. Thanks iFixit you are amazing!

1

JoryB
145

I am a little late on this topic, being new to the site and all, but I just recently encountered this problem and thought I would share my solution.

A nice workaround that I found is using a USB Audio adaptor. There is one made by QVS for $13. It does take up a USB port, but it is better then replacing the logic board or attempting to re-solder the jack piece and risking damage.

Cheers!

0

Owen
1

Thanks for the tip. I had the same problem and used the drilling solution with a 1.5mm bit.

I snipped the end of a standard biro plastic sheath (the inner bit) and shaved it down to a snug fit in the headphone socket.

After a fair few attempts finally go the drill far enough into the offending article to bite and out it came.

This does require some precision so take care.

0

6rgi
1

how can you take out plastic from your ipod headphone socket

Edited by: 6rgi ( )

0

Marlyn Desire
1

This is a solution that involves glue but it worked perfectly for me. Get some quick dry super glue and apply some to the broken end of the headphone plug. Make sure that there is none on the sides because we sons want it to get stuck in there forever! Insert the pluck into the jack, making sure that it's perfectly connected to the broken end that's lodged. Leave that in for 5-10 mins and after that, grab the plug and tug it out. Don't pull too hard or twist. NOTE:DONT USE GORRILLA GLUE. Hopefully that helped!

0

jallson suryo
1

I used bamboo toothpick and put superglue on tip. wait after 10 mnts n pull. It works.