Parts & Tools

Western Digital My Passport Drive. USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive.

SSD corrupt and making a clicking sound

My WD SSD Passport 1 TB is no longer accessible its not showing up, its no longer initialised when I try to it shows fatal error and its making a clicking noise on start up (weird as it is a SSD ) I have tried all kinds of scan tools and I have tried Kali but that just showed " /on " not supported error I have nearly 400 GB of data on it Please help

I've never heard of a external SSD making a clicking noise!

Can you give us your exact model info for the drive it should be on the case.

It is a WD SSD My Passport 1TB

here is the link to WD shop it has all the specs on it https://shop.westerndigital.com/products...

Nintendo Switch Kits

A quick fix to get back in the game

Shop Switch Kits

Nintendo Switch Kits

A quick fix to get back in the game

Shop Switch Kits

The reason I had asked you to supply more details as WD offered similar case designs between the HDD and SSD models so its very easy to mistake them.

HDD’s have moving parts and one of the parts it has is a head brake which holds the head arm from its rest position, its often the part you hear that makes a clicking noise.

SSD’s have no moving parts which could be a source for a clicking noise. Which is why I am very puzzled as I can’t explain the source of the sound.

In any case these drives cases are often welded so getting them open tends to damage the case permanently and if you’re not careful you can damage the internals for either drive type.

A mechanical HDD drive assembly as I’ve shown needs a clean room to open and service as dust in the air can destroy the head and disk surfaces.Basically its not serviceable by you or even me! A SSD might be repairable if a part can be identified as being damaged. But these tiny parts are not really viable and in some cases custom. So sadly they too are often not repairable.

Joshua will be eternally grateful.