Power issues, left I/O board dying?

So for quite a while I've been having some issues with my Macbook Pro A1226 2.2 ghz core 2 duo not charging the battery. However it always worked on AC power, and replugging the AC seemed to fix the problem.

Over the last few days it's been getting worse, because sometimes power wouldn't connect at all. Again after some time trying to replug the charging it starts working again, but its becoming more and more troublesome. I'm pretty sure the problem is not the charger (though I haven't been able to test it yet, will soon though!)

The magsafe port on the computer looks quite abused. I've uploaded a picture of it here:

http://azaratmusic.com/magsafe_port.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's the connector here on the left I/O board that causes the problem. I've tried resetting the SMC but that didn't help either.

Do you agree that this is indeed the problem or could there be any other things causing the issue? Is there any other things I should test before changing the left I/O bord (beside testing the charger of course)?

Most Helpful Answer

To the left of the receptors on the DC-IN appears to be a small something that may be holding the adapter away. Also check the adapter with a toothpick and push the pins in and out to make sure they're working. Here's the wiki on the magsafe. The pin out is on the right. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagSafe

Thanks for the suggestion! I tried to cleanout the port, including removing the little peace of metal, that seemed to be stuck there. However it did not seem to improve the situation.

by Jacob

I have the exact same problem. I purchased a new AC adapter and battery. The problem is the MagSafe port. But I was wondering if the just the port can be swapped or if the whole left I/O needs to be replaced.

Hi, I went down to a shop to get it looked at, and yes, the whole I/O board have to be replaced in my case at least.

by Jacob

Jacob will be eternally grateful.