The Canon Powershot 1200 is a 12-megapixel camera that uses an f2.8 28mm-equivalent wide-angle lens with a 4x zoom.

My camera won't take pictures or show anything on the screen.

I have a canon A1200 and my camera won't take pictures or look at anything, how do i fix it?

is there any sign of life in the camera? do you have any lights on? can you access the menu screen? first try changing the battery..

yes there is life, it just wont take pictures or show anything that i point the camera at, all it does really is show the pictures i already took but the pictures i take now it just shows up as pitch black

this camera could still be under warranty. it's worth checking this before you go tearing it apart. It sounds like either a shutter failure or iris failure, in which case if you put the camera in night mode/no flash, look down the barrel of the lens and then take a picture you will see that the shutter remains closed. Or it may be that the ccd (the part that captures images at the back of the lens) is damaged. I'd think it more likely the first problem as all your pictures are black. If it is the outer iris sometimes it's just a bit of dirt in the outer rings which can be gently flicked out with a brush. Anything else and it needs to be opened.. so check your warranty

patrick hurst will be eternally grateful.