1

Mumby
23

Optical Drive Cable doesn't fit Optical Bay SATA Hard Drive Enclosure

Hello everyone,

Model: MacBook2,1

Serial Number (system) W87381J7Z5Z

I am replacing my MacBook Core 2 Duo (Late 2007) optical drive with an SSD. I bought a 9.5mm SATA Optical Bay Hard Drive Caddy Adapter Amazon, it is exactly like this one

http://www.amazon.com/9-5mm-Optical-Driv...

I followed the ifixit guide on replacing the optical drive but discovered that the SATA socket on the caddy I bought is not compatible with the optical drive cable in my MacBook, they are different connectors! The picture in the Amazon add shows it quite well, compare it with the socket on the ifixit enclosure

9.5 mm PATA Optical Bay SATA Hard Drive Enclosure

My question is: Is there an adaptor I can buy to convert between the two? Or is there no other option than to buy the hard drive enclosure from ifixit? Is there really no one else that makes a compatible optical to HDD enclosre?

Thanks a lot for any help you can provide!

Regards

Mumby

Add a hard drive to your laptop by replacing the optical drive with a second hard drive. Compatible with all MacBooks (excluding Early or Mid 2009 MacBooks, MacBook Unibody and MacBook Air) and all 15" MacBook Pros (excluding Unibody). 9.5 mm Internal ATA — 50+ available at 39.95 each.

Edited by: Mumby ( )

Thank you for the help. I went ahead and ordered the ifixit one, there doesn't seem to be any less expensive option.

Mumby,

1

Majesty

I'm pretty sure that an adaptor from a third party is available, but that's a tight squeeze you are working with. I doubt any adaptor would fit in this situation; your best bet would be to pick up the one from iFixit and as you can see from the "Compatibility" section on the right hand side of the page in the link you provided, it's compatible with your machine. I wouldn't risk using any third party adaptors in a situation like this, even if you could fit one in.

Edited by: Majesty ( )

0

rayhange
1

Majesty...u say their may be an adapter? I've allteard made a mounting bracket and mounted my hdd...comp is apart ATM. Same 2007 13 in MB. so I altered my case. I found a manual to do this so getting all excited I did it without having the cables figuring I'd find the l4p and power ones here in town. I found em but the good guy at the local parts store was nice enough to point out I had no way to plug the lp4 adapter in to the optical drive port...I can't seem to find an adapter, but I'm confident I have the room to squeeze it in there :) any advice is welcomed!! Thanks all