Parts & Tools

Can I replace a broken bridge on a WD my passport?

I dropped my WD my passport 2 TB a few night ago and the port became touchy. Yesterday it died completely. I opened it up and it looks like the port assembly part of the bridge is cracked. I think the whole bridge assembly will need to be replaced. Would I be able to take one out of a similar hdd and put it instead? what are my other options?

Nintendo Switch Kits

A quick fix to get back in the game

Shop Switch Kits

Nintendo Switch Kits

A quick fix to get back in the game

Shop Switch Kits

You need to repair the PCB as the calibration of the drive and the unique defect log are not interchangeable since every drive is different. This means the EEPROM IC(s) that hold this data will need to be migrated to the new PCB or you need to repair the old one. Try and make the drive work long enough to pull the data off before soldering a new port on with some pressure.

More then likely, you’re better off repairing the old one for recovery and building a drive that doesn’t integrate the part that *always* fails OR encrypts it to a unique PCB and taking this as a hard lesson on why integrated externals are bad news. You don’t want the drive bridge controlling data access or having to resort to soldering a new port on a drive that would normally be a quick fix with a backup drive just in case it breaks and you need to replace the enclosure to recover the data and get the drive going again.

With a NORMAL drive, the actual drive itself is usually fine and the PCB is dead so all you need to do is transfer the drive from the dead enclosure to a new one. This is why I’ve largely moved to custom M.2 externals - if the enclosure fries, NBD since I can buy a new one and make sure the drive works.

Omar Kaheel will be eternally grateful.